REMOVAL OF REAR BRAKE DRUM ON 1950 COMMANDER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMOVAL OF REAR BRAKE DRUM ON 1950 COMMANDER

Hi to all.....I need to double check this...I want to get at my rear brakes on my 1950 commander..I have done the following:
    #1..removed tire
    #2..removed axle nut
    #3..obtained the correct hub puller
    IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT HAS TO BE REMOVED THAT WOULD BE HOLDING THE DRUM ON ?
    Thanks in advance....John

As a extra measure of safety, put the axle nut back on backwards (the notches facing the drum)& leave it flush with the end of the axle. This will help prevent any undue distortion of the end of the axle (& if it does, the nut will help "re-size' it when you take it back off).

I'll assume the drum turns & the brake shoes aren't stuck to it. You should back off the adjustments on the backside of the backing plate) to give plenty of clearance if there's a groove worn into the drum.

After that, get the big hammer (a 4 to 6 pound mallet is about right...don't use anything smaller). If your lucky, a few bumps will do it & if not, take bigger swings. Use the mallet to tighten up the puller after every few smacks.

Lots-o-luck
    Mike Sal

Comment

You should know that when the drum pulls off as far as the nut, it will go bang! After the bang, it should pull of easily.

Sometimes the shoes are stuck to the drum with rust, or sometimes the brakes are adjusted too tightly and are holding the drum on.

Comment

Working...
      X