filter on top of the motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter on top of the motor

I have heard people here talk about full flow and patial flow. The 289 came with both these features? Does this have to do with the type of filtration or year model? Can one be converted to the other?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Late 1962 model year, the change was made to full flow, not possible to convert earlier to full flow without lots of engineering.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Late 1962 model year, the change was made to full flow, not possible to convert earlier to full flow without lots of engineering.

You'll have to excuse the 'dummy' here for asking, but how does one determine which one they have?

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

If you have a spin on filter mounted under the right hand side of the engine, you have a full flow, mounted on the top front, partial flow.

64 Commander 2 dr.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        60 Lark HT
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

filter on bottom- full flow
          filter on top- probably not

StudeDave [8D]
          V/P San Diego County SDC
          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

thanks for asking that question studedave, I really wanted to know however I was afraid to ask, thanks! you are no dummy. Some of us just don't know about these cars, our question may sound elementary. these guy have been around these cars ans have taken them apart , put them back together and driven them. They are very familiar with the technology, sometimes a little patience is required.They have me a little shell shocked right now.

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Back in the day... Filtering oil was an option.
              Companies like Fram started out making accessory oil filter 'add on' kits. Then they started selling these kits to the auto makers and they started marketing this option as a long life option.
              The difference between a 'partial flow' and a 'full flow' is fairly simple. A 'partial flow' oil filter is where oil is taken from a passage in the engine (usually one that is easily accessible) and run through the filter, and then dumped back into the oil pan through a return hose (that usually has a restricted fitting to keep oil pressure up). It only 'partially' filters the oil. Studebakers with the oil filter on top, and Champ 6's were a good example of this style. Whatever oil that went up the block into the head and into that line....got filtered. Something filtered is better than nothing filtered, but it was more of a visual reassurance thing than anything else.....
              A 'Full Flow' system is different. It takes ALL the oil put out by the oil pump and filters it. The oil comes out of the oil pump, goes through the filter and right back into the main oil feed right above the oil pump. Much, much more efficient. All the engine manufacturers went to this system later on, Studebaker included. Studebaker did sort of a Band-Aid setup by externally plumbing the full flow filter lines (so they did not have to re-design the block casting), which worked well.
              Still, nothing beats changing your oil on a regular basis.
              Good question!
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I have heard people here talk about full flow and patial flow. The 289 came with both these features? Does this have to do with the type of filtration or year model? Can one be converted to the other?

Studebakers forever!

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              Brooklet, Georgia
              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
              '61 Hawk (project)
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As far as engineering, back in the 70's, we used to convert blocks to full flow, mounting a 2qt spin on filter to the frame. The whole job was done with a 1/2 " drill, some 1/4" pipe, a small freeze plug, a tap, and a drill bit with three bits on the end, so that the drill would center itself in the hole. This was all done in a barn. No machine shop.

Comment

Actually Jeff they DID redesign the blocks to intergrate the full flow systems. None of my full flow blocks have external oil lines(well except the one to the gauge). My 62 Champ came with a full flow block, but with a partial flow filter up top. It had a block off plate cover on the place where the full flow filter mount could have gone.
                  Studebaker did sort of a Band-Aid setup by externally plumbing the full flow filter lines (so they did not have to re-design the block casting), which worked well.
                  Still, nothing beats changing your oil on a regular basis.
                  Good question!
                  Jeff[8D][/b]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

Studebakers forever!

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                  Brooklet, Georgia
                  '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project)
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  [/navy]

[/quote]

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28
                  4E2
                  59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

Actually Transtar60, Jeff did say they changed the block. I think you missed this part:
                    quote:[i]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK All the engine manufacturers went to this system later on, Studebaker included.
                    In the later part that you do not agree with, I guess he was talking about the 1958 to early 1962 "spin-on" kind and calling it "full-flow" in error. (it is NOT !) Right, Jeff?

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm not splittin' hairs with this group
                      A partial flow filter system is a partial flow system, whether it has a cannister type filter, a spin on filter, or a toilet paper filter[:0].....
                      I guess the real question is.. Do you filter ALL the oil, or just some of the oil....
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Actually Transtar60, Jeff did say they changed the block. I think you missed this part:
                      quote:[i]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK All the engine manufacturers went to this system later on, Studebaker included.
                      In the later part that you do not agree with, I guess he was talking about the 1958 to early 1962 "spin-on" kind and calling it "full-flow" in error. (it is NOT !) Right, Jeff?
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                      X