51 Steering wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Steering wheel removal

Can I pull my '51 Champion's steering wheel with a standard 3 legged puller, using the three #8 screw holes on my steering wheel, or are the threads on those holes too weak for pulling?

I've seen earlier posts on this forum suggesting using various apparatus underneath the wheel, but I don't have anything in the garage which fits. I do have a puller, but don't want to destroy the wheel.

Suggestions.

I've had success, once the nut is removed, bumping the back of the spokes with a soft faced hammer. My '55 sat for 30 years without the wheel (or anything else) touched. I pulled the horn ring and the nut and bumped it with a dead blown hammer just to get the feel of it, and it popped off.

The hard part with a puller is protecting the horn wire.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

My experience was the opposite of Tom's. The wheel on my 52 came off harder than any I'd ever seen, even harder than old junkyard cars. The holes in your wheel are adequate for pulling, but take every step you can to build a good and secure puller.
      I can show you a massacred wheel hanging on my wall to illustrate how not to do it.

Comment

I have noticed that the wheels prior to '53 only have the screw holes tapped into the plastic or bakelite part of the wheel, not into the metal frame. When a puller is used the holes will strip or the wheel will break...

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

The wrong puller will damage the horn wire and possible the brass cup holding it, on a 55K. Hard to find some of those parts.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
          X