61 Hawk fuel tank sending unit ohm rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Hawk fuel tank sending unit ohm rating

Can any one tell me the operating ohm range for the fuel tank sending unit in a 61 Hawk?

Jon Kammer

Most likely range of 220 ohms to 33 ohms.
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

I am a little reluctant to buy a sending unit on a "most likely". Does anyone know how to test one?

JK

Comment

Take an Ohm meter and put the red lead on the center terminal and the black on the case. On my 53 it reads 99-0. But I do not have a 61 Hawk.

Comment

Picked out of my stash a 63 sender and it reads 41 ohms full, and 1,600 ohms empty. That sound right to anyone? Sometimes surface rust will make some weird readings on those old metal wound pots.

Comment

Using my handy Sears multimeter and an NOS tank guage (1549575) I checked some readings. The digital readout jumped around more than the scale on the "Biggest Loser". Anyway as far as I can tell, after several readings, it appears when the tank is empty it should be in the 500 to 600 ohm range and when full in the 50 to 60 ohm range (give or take).

Keep in mind my last class on ohms law was about the time we first landed a man on the moon.

Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
            1961 Lark Crusier
            1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...