X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Nameplate for 55 Champion

I am looking for a nameplate that fits on the trunk of my 55 Champion
    The trunk lock set's in the middle of this plate. Mine is pitted and
    not "Show".Do any of you have a nice one for sale?
    I may not be calling it by it's proper name,but it is Chrome with the words Studebaker and Champion on it,the words have Black paint behind them. Thanks for any help.

A "nice one" will probably still not be suitable for "Show", if that's what you want.

Why not ask Jerry Forrester what it would cost to make yours "Show"?
    No harm or obligation in asking.

The one on my '53 was pitted at one point in time.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very nice..did Jerry do yours? I bought bumpers from Jerry and will give him a call if nothing comes up here for sale.

Comment

Unfortunately, I did not become aware of Jerry until my project was nearing completion. LiBrandi did this one but, Jerry did the final items I needed and I can attest his work is every bit as nice as any I've seen.

'Course, you'll probably need to do the final black and white paint details. Maybe, for a price, he can accomplish that as well.
        Brad Johnson,
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Benny: The part you are looking for is identified as Handle, Lid; Part #306900.

As far as I know, good used ones might not be that hard to come by for a Champion. Understandably, most of the President ones have been gobbled up for Speedsters and such through the years, but it seems like I've seen perfectly good, used Champion ones at swap meets.

You might inquire of some vendors, too; you may find an NOS unit. But it wouldn't be as shiny as a freshly-rechromed one, if it has been sitting in inventory for 55 years. [8D]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob. Boy a NOS would be a great find. I had hoped to get to South Bend but due to my wife having surgery I guess I had better stay in NC with her.
            Could you stear me towards a vendor that might have a good used Champion one ?
            Thanks for all your help.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55champion

Thanks for the info Bob. Boy a NOS would be a great find. I had hoped to get to South Bend but due to my wife having surgery I guess I had better stay in NC with her.
              Could you steer me towards a vendor that might have a good used Champion one ?
              Thanks for all your help.
              'Hope your wife is doing better after the surgery, Benny. No, I'm not familiar with any specific vendor who might have one; I just remember seeing usable Champion handles at various meets. Now that you have the part number, just start calling around. Turning Wheels vendors are a good place to start, plus the various vendors here on our Studebaker Swap Pages. You might luck into an NOS one. Best wishes. [8D]BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Can also place a free want ad in TURNING WHEELS if you are a member of SDC.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys, you fellow Studebaker lovers are GREAT. I appericate all you help.

Comment

I have one.
                    It has not been rechromed.
                    It is driver quality.
                    I can rechrome it but it will not be concours.
                    The pitting that takes place on these '53-5 lift handles, down in the recess area around the letters, prevent me from doing a concours quality job. Since that area gets painted I always let the owner spend the hours required to smooth all the imperfections (using JB Weld or Bondo, whatever you prefer) around the letters and do the black & white paint thing him or herself.
                    I do not have the lift handle in my possession at the present time. I
                    let it go with the '55 Commander I sold Elza but later found the Commander lift handle and sent that one to him. He is holding the Champion lift handle until we meet again or he would mail it to me if needed.
                    If you want, we can ask Elza what kind of condition it's in. As with everything, it's subjective. What one person would call a piece 'driver' quality, another person may call it 'show' quality and yet another might call it junk.

Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry, I will give you a call on Friday. Thanks, Benny

Comment

Benny, if Jerry can'nt supply you with one I have what I concider a driver part.let me know if that works out or not.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks Joseph, I will let you know.

Comment

Joseph, Jerry and I worked out a deal. Thanks for responding to me. I am sure there will be some more things I will need for me 55 Champion 2 door delux Sedan.

Comment

Working...
                            X