Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Front End for C/K

Corvette front end in C/K[?] Has anyone out there done this[?]
    I have installed them a number of vehicles, including a 50 Stude 4Dr. But, I am getting ready to put an 86 Corvette front end in my 56 Hawk. [] And, would like to talk to someone that might have this set up in their C/K car.
    Thanks for your help.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Rene Harger has a kit available......

(click on the 'chassis' tab)

quote:Originally posted by woodysrods

Corvette front end in C/K[?] Has anyone out there done this[?]
    I have installed them a number of vehicles, including a 50 Stude 4Dr. But, I am getting ready to put an 86 Corvette front end in my 56 Hawk. [] And, would like to talk to someone that might have this set up in their C/K car.
    Thanks for your help.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks
      I have been to his site before. And if I didn't already have this 86 Corvette front end in stock, I would probably consider on of the many after market kits available. But' I have this real nice , low milage corvette front end I have been saving for one of my own projects for over 15 years.[] Would like to make it work without investing more money in something I already have.
      Thanks again.
      Good Roads
      Brian

Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I have seen C/K models with a Corvette front end. I have not built one myself so I do not know the details or pitfalls.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have talked with a fellow who put a complete C4 Corvette suspension under a '53 hardtop. His name is Harley Jones, I will try and find a number or email and see if he minds if I share it with you. He said one of the biggest challenges was the difference in track width with the Corvette being wider. More of a problem in back than in the front according to him. He said once it was all done it drives and handles well, although a little stiff. Good luck with it, I hope you will keep a journal for us to watch as you build.

Pat

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
          '54 Conestoga Future Project

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

My car has a 74' Nova frontend and so far the only problem is bumper fitment.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
            1954 Champion Coupe
            Lizella, GA
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

Thanks Pat. Yes I do keep a running pictoral on all the cars we build. But, I find photo bucket a lttle cumbersome and hard to use. Otherwise I would be sharing more pictures with forum members.[]
              And the 84 to 88 front ends track at 58 1/2" so they are very manageable for C/K's as opposed to the later ones. And I agree the rears are always too wide. But, I have never beeen a fan of independant rears, So mine will recieve a narrowed 9 " Ford.
              Thanks Again.
              Brian

Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

And Alex. Thank you to for your post. Always nice to see your enthusiasm. As a car builder I have moved on from the old clips.
                They ride nice and did the job. But in todays world they are getting too expensive to install and refurbish. The front end in your Dad's car is the much better way to go. Cheaper too!
                Keep up the good work. We can't wait to see your car finished.
                Good Roads
                Brian

Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Anyone else out there know of someone who has done this swap?
                  Brian

Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I have done this swap on my 56 Stude wagon. You can see the wagon on members pictures page. I did both front and back. The width is a problem in the back. Love the way it rides. Can send you pics late next week as I am on the road and will not return until 5/4. I had to do MAJOR frame mods to get the front to work. I love it. Iam considering putting a Ford 8.8 back under it as I had to flare my wheel wells in the back. But the overall ride is great and the handling is almost to good. It will turn on a dime and is real quick to repond.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                    Remember, "When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done."

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Thanks Ken. I look forward to any build picturs you may have[] Also would like to correspond with you by e-mail when I start installation. I did this combination withe the Corvette front and 9" ford rear in a 50 Bullet nose about 10 years ago. And like you say the car handled almost too good.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian

Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X