PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Hawk instrument overlay

Scott
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I've seen lots of pictures of the interior of 1962 hawks, but I have not been able to definitely figure out if the faux grain overlay is supposed to be glossy or dull, or something in-between. The one on my car is rather dull. Can regular car wax be used to get it glossier? If dull is stock I'll leave it, but I think it might look a little better shiny.

StudeRich
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
It appears you might mean the instrument overlay woodgrain panel? It is somewhere between high gloss and flat, semi-gloss.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Scott
02-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes, I mean the one around the gauges. I've seen them dull and I've seen them ultra-glossy. I didn't know what the original look was.

parky
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
My dash is currently out of the car and awaiting the application of real walnut veneer. This won't look exactly original, but I will sure like it better. This project cost less than $20.

62 GT Hawk

Dick Steinkamp
02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by parky

My dash is currently out of the car and awaiting the application of real walnut veneer. This won't look exactly original, but I will sure like it better. This project cost less than $20.

Parky,
Did you cut your own or are they available someplace? I know jimijim8 did these at one time.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

parky
02-23-2007, 09:14 PM
At my local hardwood dealer they have packets of different wood veneers. They come in super thin sheets about 8 1/2" by 32", 4 per package. They have walnut, cherry, mahogany, maple, maybe others. The stuff is so thin it can be convinced to lay down and be glued and clamped to the metal gauge surround. When dry, the holes can be cut out with an exacto knife and then fine sanded and urethaned and/or stained to whatever finish is desired. I'm hoping it works out as well as the theory suggests, but I won't have much invested but time. If it works out for the driver's side, I'm going to cut out patterns for the passenger side. The previous owner butchered the hole where the radio was in a desperate attempt to install an a/c outlet, so I have to come up with some creative fix. The perforated panels on the dash are designed with a raised lip around the edge, which lends itself to inlaying a piece of veneer neatly. I think the wood veneer will look cool if it works. With the sbc engine and the 700R4 trans this is not a points car, so this is purely for my satisfaction. I tried to find replacement perforated stock for the passenger side, but had no luck.

62 GT Hawk

blackhawk
02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by parky

At my local hardwood dealer they have packets of different wood veneers. They come in super thin sheets about 8 1/2" by 32", 4 per package. They have walnut, cherry, mahogany, maple, maybe others. The stuff is so thin it can be convinced to lay down and be glued and clamped to the metal gauge surround... 62 GT Hawk
I think it will look real nice. The stock overlays on my '63 Hawk look okay but wood imitation will never look as nice as the real thing. In the '60s I had a '55 Champion. I replaced the side panels where the air vents are with walnut venier. I did the same for the speaker shelf behind the rear seat. The wood looked real classy. Dale

blackhawk
02-24-2007, 11:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

This is no easy task... I will try and post some pictures of them this afternoon. AllenAllen - thanks for the adding your personal experience. I never would have guessed that the wood veneer needs additional backing besides the existing overlay. I look forward to seeing your photos. Dale

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-24-2007, 11:12 AM
This is no easy task! I did my 64 Hawk dash with Maccasser Ebony and looks like a million bucks. The veneer is ultra thin and the material is all book matched for the door panels and one continuous piece for the dash. If you do this out of material from you local store you will require longer pieces to match the grain from on side of the dash to the other. If you don't you will have a mess. The veneer will not be stable enough to contact cement it to the aluminum. The two material expand and contract at different rates and the veneer will peel over time. You will have a bigger mess than you have now. I would recommend you contact jimijim8 (he was in a very bad highway car crash last year)to inquire about his dash inlays. I have his number somewhere and know and know his email address. If this is a project that you want to take on yourself I would recommend you contact cement the veneer to some arborite (countertop material)then contact cement it to you aluminum dash. This will allow the veneer a very stable material to be glued too. I have built a template for the inlays I used for my hawk to be able to cut the veneer and arborite on my router table for a perfect fit. You then have to spray the finish with spray can of UV rated clear coat. Mine took 8 coats to fill the grain and all the pieces look like mirrors now. The massaccer ebony veneers are VERY EXPENSIVE a 4' piece cost me $25 and I used 5 peices to be able to match the grain. To finish the entire project took over a week with spraying, drying, and sanding up to 800 grit paper. I suppose it all depends on the look you want. My interior is Black and the massaccer ebony is a beautiful wood from I believe Africa with hues of orange, blonde , and wild looking dark black stripes though it. Contact me off this site allenanderson at cogeco dot ca and I will set you up with the procedure to get this done right. I will try and post some pictures of them this afternoon.

Best of luck. Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

parky
02-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Allen, thanks for the advice. I think you are right about the expansion problem. If I wanted continuity with the grain, I could get some 2' x 8' pieces for about $40 from our hardwood store. They also have some thicker veneer that might work better. I chose the thin stuff so it would conform to the gauge surround better. With the break between the dash and the glove box the grain difference might not be as noticable. If it is noticeable, I might get the thick stuff for that side or take your advice.
I'm not sure I'll ever really complete this dream, as I'm fighting lung cancer and haven't been able to spend much time on the car.
I'd like to get it done in time for the South Bend meet, as I live only 2 hours away.

62 GT Hawk

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Here are my Maccasser Ebony dash inserts. BTW I would prefer the absolute stock look and will be on the look out for NOS panels but my dash and door panel inserts where originally laminated with oak veneer. This is a great improvement over what I started with.

Complete Dash

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/IMGP3189.jpg

The radio insert was tough to do with the little piece above the radio face

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/IMGP3190.jpg

Glove Box

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/IMGP3191.jpg

Looks like the door panels could use a little buffing with armour all!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/IMGP3192.jpg

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

parky
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
WOW! With that grain I can see the need for continuity from one panel to another. That really looks sharp. Thanks for posting the pics.
bob

62 GT Hawk

gordr
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Allen, those inserts look great! Nice work.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands