First South Bend Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First South Bend Packard

Ok, since the topic came up about the last Packard in SB, how about the first?

Also, was anyone aware that Packard also made engines (302 cu. in) to be used in Hudsons in 1955 and maybe beyond.

So let's see. Hudson used a Studebaker-Packard built powerplant in at least 1955. Studebaker used Packard engines in 1956. Studebaker used GM engines in 1965 and 1966. Very interesting cross pollination!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Don't forget Nash 1955 302 and 1956 352 and 1957 327 AMC V-8

Comment

Don't forget Nash 1955 302 and 1956 352 and 1957 327 AMC V-8

Comment

The 327 wasn't Packard's
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The 327 wasn't Packard's

Comment

Also, was anyone aware that Packard also made engines (302 cu. in) to be used in Hudsons in 1955 and maybe beyond.

They were the smaller 250 cubic inch V-8, and they were also used in White trucks.

So let's see. Hudson used a Studebaker-Packard built powerplant in at least 1955. Studebaker used Packard engines in 1956. Studebaker used GM engines in 1965 and 1966. Very interesting cross pollination!

A lot of the independents used GM-Delco electrics Interestingly enough, Harold Vance was approached by Ford to use Studebaker's Automatic Drive in their cars for 1951. He refused, which in hindsight, was not a good move for Studebaker.

Craig

Comment

They were the smaller 250 cubic inch V-8, and they were also used in White trucks.

A lot of the independents used GM-Delco electrics Interestingly enough, Harold Vance was approached by Ford to use Studebaker's Automatic Drive in their cars for 1951. He refused, which in hindsight, was not a good move for Studebaker.

Craig

Comment

I do know that the '56 big Nashes and Hudsons used the Packard V-8 engines in them. The '57s used the first AMC built V-8. I think the '55 Nash Ambassador still used the big OHV in-line six. I don't remember which engine the '55 Hudson used.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I do know that the '56 big Nashes and Hudsons used the Packard V-8 engines in them. The '57s used the first AMC built V-8. I think the '55 Nash Ambassador still used the big OHV in-line six. I don't remember which engine the '55 Hudson used.
                  Rog

Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hudson for 1955 used the 308 Six and the 302 Packard V-8 in the Hornet And so did Nash use the 302.

Comment

Hudson for 1955 used the 308 Six and the 302 Packard V-8 in the Hornet And so did Nash use the 302.

Comment

[8D] WHOA, guys: Let's take a moment to straighten out the Packard V-8 engine usage outside Packard. 'Too much misinformation here so far.

For the 1955 model year, AMC contracted with Packard to supply the 320 cubic-inch Packard V-8 variant for use in 1955 Nashes and Hudsons. Both Hudson and Nash had their own sixes as standard equipment, with the 320 Packard V-8 as an option all year. (The 320 Packard V-8 was also used in the 1955 Clipper DeLuxe and Clipper Super models. The 1955 Clipper Custom, being the highest-price Clipper series, got the 352 Packard V-8 standard equipment.)

For the 1956 model year, pretty much "all the above" was true when the 1956s were introduced. However, Packard no longer built the 320 for 1956. So, 1956 Clipper DeLuxes and Supers got the 352 engine, as did Nashes and Hudsons when a V-8 engine option was specified, I repeat, early in the 1956 model year.

However, AMC had been working on their own, all-new V-8 engine. It was not ready for introduction when the 1956 Nashes and Hudsons were introduced, but did become available in early March, 1956. The all-new AMC V-8 had nothing to do with a Packard engine, and, for 1956, was initially available with 250 CID displacement.

The new AMC V-8 was treated to a new car model, too: The Hudson Hornet Special. The Hornet Special was re-introduced after being dormant since 1954. The Hornet Special was a bit of a hot-rod [] in that it was built on the shorter Wasp chassis and had the new 250 CID AMC V-8. That engine was available with stick or stick overdrive, too. [}]

For 1957, of course, the Packard V-8 was no longer in production, so nobody could use it. AMC expanded their new V-8 to 327 cubic inches for use in all 1957 Hudsons and 1957 Nash Ambassadors. It was also the only engine available, and with 4-barrel and duals standard equipment, yet, in the hot 1957 Rambler Rebel. [] The 1957 Rebel really was, probably, the fastest 1957 production American automobile in "stock" configuration. [:0]

The smaller 250 cubic-inch AMC V-8 was continued as an option in "lesser" 1957 Rambler models. The base AMC V-8 would later be configured to 287 cubic inches, replacing the smaller 250 engine...but not during the 1957 model year.

Some sources indicate the all-new AMC 250/287/327 V-8 engine as being the V-8 that was under development at Hudson when the merger occurred in 1954, but I cannot confirm that. [:0] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[8D] WHOA, guys: Let's take a moment to straighten out the Packard V-8 engine usage outside Packard. 'Too much misinformation here so far.

For the 1955 model year, AMC contracted with Packard to supply the 320 cubic-inch Packard V-8 variant for use in 1955 Nashes and Hudsons. Both Hudson and Nash had their own sixes as standard equipment, with the 320 Packard V-8 as an option all year. (The 320 Packard V-8 was also used in the 1955 Clipper DeLuxe and Clipper Super models. The 1955 Clipper Custom, being the highest-price Clipper series, got the 352 Packard V-8 standard equipment.)

For the 1956 model year, pretty much "all the above" was true when the 1956s were introduced. However, Packard no longer built the 320 for 1956. So, 1956 Clipper DeLuxes and Supers got the 352 engine, as did Nashes and Hudsons when a V-8 engine option was specified, I repeat, early in the 1956 model year.

However, AMC had been working on their own, all-new V-8 engine. It was not ready for introduction when the 1956 Nashes and Hudsons were introduced, but did become available in early March, 1956. The all-new AMC V-8 had nothing to do with a Packard engine, and, for 1956, was initially available with 250 CID displacement.

The new AMC V-8 was treated to a new car model, too: The Hudson Hornet Special. The Hornet Special was re-introduced after being dormant since 1954. The Hornet Special was a bit of a hot-rod [] in that it was built on the shorter Wasp chassis and had the new 250 CID AMC V-8. That engine was available with stick or stick overdrive, too. [}]

For 1957, of course, the Packard V-8 was no longer in production, so nobody could use it. AMC expanded their new V-8 to 327 cubic inches for use in all 1957 Hudsons and 1957 Nash Ambassadors. It was also the only engine available, and with 4-barrel and duals standard equipment, yet, in the hot 1957 Rambler Rebel. [] The 1957 Rebel really was, probably, the fastest 1957 production American automobile in "stock" configuration. [:0]

The smaller 250 cubic-inch AMC V-8 was continued as an option in "lesser" 1957 Rambler models. The base AMC V-8 would later be configured to 287 cubic inches, replacing the smaller 250 engine...but not during the 1957 model year.

Some sources indicate the all-new AMC 250/287/327 V-8 engine as being the V-8 that was under development at Hudson when the merger occurred in 1954, but I cannot confirm that. [:0] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The all-new AMC V-8 had nothing to do with a Packard engine, and, for 1956, was initially available with 250 CID displacement.

Thanks Bob. I got my engine sizes mixed up. Indeed, Packard's was a 320 cid and AMC's own replacement for it was 250 cid.

Craig

Comment

The all-new AMC V-8 had nothing to do with a Packard engine, and, for 1956, was initially available with 250 CID displacement.

Thanks Bob. I got my engine sizes mixed up. Indeed, Packard's was a 320 cid and AMC's own replacement for it was 250 cid.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X