Someone got an Avanti bargain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone got an Avanti bargain

This car closed for $16,600 (reserve was only $15,000).

I can't believe a very nice, drive home, 71,000-mile late '64 Avanti, R-1 w/AC, tilt wheel, power windows, AM-FM, Avanti Gray, virtually mint Claret interior, all tint glass, and more went so low..
    I was sorely tempted to place a snipe bid, but just decided I had higher priorities. I did call the seller. He is a Chrysler guy, but always liked Avantis so he had bought it a year or so ago then did a lot of nice things to it- Turner brakes, new stainless ignition shielding, rebuilt power steering control valve, water pump, installed new pan gasket (and stopped oil leak), new Studebaker vendor carpet with dynomat under it, etc. He said it was super tight- doors would close when let go from eight inches, hog troughs and rear tubular member perfect, power windows working well, no headliner sag. When I asked him about the jack and tire tool he had never even looked in the tire well and was surprised to find a scissors jack and an original spare when he carried the phone to the car and looked for me. He didn't hesitate an instant to say "yes" when I asked if it could be driven from there on a 900-mile trip.
    History of the car was a man in Chicago who owned one of the nine R-3s bought the car from the original owner's estate just to harvest the Halibrands that were on it. He then just parked it in a garage for several years. The seller had purchased the car from him with just roller wheels. That's why he put Torque Thrust wheels on it. Oh yes, the reason for selling- he had just bought a Jensen Interceptor.
    One big mistake in the listing that he didn't bother to correct- he listed the serial number as RQ4251. He had reported the body number. The serial number was well above 5500.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Agreed, Paul; a bargain.[^] I can't imagine buying a nicer Avanti for $16,000. [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

An item only has worth to those that deem it so......why do you seem so shocked?

quote:Originally posted by 53k

This car closed for $16,600 (reserve was only $15,000).

I can't believe a very nice, drive home, 71,000-mile late '64 Avanti, R-1 w/AC, tilt wheel, power windows, AM-FM, Avanti Gray, virtually mint Claret interior, all tint glass, and more went so low..
      I was sorely tempted to place a snipe bid, but just decided I had higher priorities. I did call the seller. He is a Chrysler guy, but always liked Avantis so he had bought it a year or so ago then did a lot of nice things to it- Turner brakes, new stainless ignition shielding, rebuilt power steering control valve, water pump, installed new pan gasket (and stopped oil leak), new Studebaker vendor carpet with dynomat under it, etc. He said it was super tight- doors would close when let go from eight inches, hog troughs and rear tubular member perfect, power windows working well, no headliner sag. When I asked him about the jack and tire tool he had never even looked in the tire well and was surprised to find a scissors jack and an original spare when he carried the phone to the car and looked for me. He didn't hesitate an instant to say "yes" when I asked if it could be driven from there on a 900-mile trip.
      History of the car was a man in Chicago who owned one of the nine R-3s bought the car from the original owner's estate just to harvest the Halibrands that were on it. He then just parked it in a garage for several years. The seller had purchased the car from him with just roller wheels. That's why he put Torque Thrust wheels on it. Oh yes, the reason for selling- he had just bought a Jensen Interceptor.
      One big mistake in the listing that he didn't bother to correct- he listed the serial number as RQ4251. He had reported the body number. The serial number was well above 5500.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Comment

Seems like more than all the money for an R1. If it were an R2 it would be a fair price.

Comment

I have to agree with Paul. I've seen far worse cars sell for this much. If it is indeed the last Avanti off the line, then its historical value is immense. This car may even end up in a Museum some day. Some of the $10K Avantis need so much work, this price of 16 will make up for itself 5 times in short order. Remember that if one gage does not work, its a $200-$500 fix. If the dash is bad, its $800. If the engine needs a rebuild, $5000, trans $2500. etc etc. This one looks like a bargain.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

I have to agree with Paul. I've seen far worse cars sell for this much. If it is indeed the last Avanti off the line, then its historical value is immense. This car may even end up in a Museum some day. Some of the $10K Avantis need so much work, this price of 16 will make up for itself 5 times in short order. Remember that if one gage does not work, its a $200-$500 fix. If the dash is bad, its $800. If the engine needs a rebuild, $5000, trans $2500. etc etc. This one looks like a bargain.

sals54
            No chance it's the last Avanti Sal, one of the late cars, but not the last.

JDP Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

You're correct on the bargain issue, that was Tom Kazale's old car. He sold it in 2009

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
              55 President State Sedan
              70 Avanti (R3)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

Seems like more than all the money for an R1. If it were an R2 it would be a fair price.
                If it were an R2 and had rust-free hog troughs it would be a fair price.

========================
                63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
                X