51 fender repairs-advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 fender repairs-advice needed

I have rust in and around the lower front seams (below the headlights) of my front fenders (51 bullet-nose). How have others gone about repairing these areas without losing the appearance of the seams?

Thanks.

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

You can weld in panels, then "lead" the seams of the patch panels, then I "carefully" use a hack saw blade and start cutting in a seam. When the line is where and how you want it, the use 80 grit sandpaper and widen it. This can also be done in the plastic filler (and it's much easier) But you can do it by taking your time!
    The 62 Daytona ragtop I sold, the previous owner welded the front nose panel on. I re cut the seam in it. I had a lot of questions on "How did you get that to line up so good" LOL

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

This is another of those "why doesn't someone have a patch panel for yet?" questions. Just like '64-'66 trunk panels, the rust in the front fender of the bullet nose is very common. i would think this would be a popular item if someone made them. I know I'd buy a few sets.
      Mike Sal
      (w/ several rusty bulletnose fenders)

Comment

Working...
      X