PDA

View Full Version : Sub Sectioning

pszikszai
02-23-2007, 07:37 AM
I was wondering if there might be an interest among the users of these forums
to try to influence MR. Shaw to subsection these forums.
Perhaps to mimic the sections of the Shop Manual or some other logical breakdown.
Using the search function will usually produce numerous unwanted hits, which
one has to peruse through since any use of the searched word will result in a hit.
Most of these will have nothing to do with the information searched.

I do not know who maintains, pays for this service.
Therefore I may be asking for something more than can be provided.
I use these forums frequently and I am thankful for the service.
I just wondered if it could be improved.
Thanks
Paul

DEEPNHOCK
02-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Interesting idea, and ideas are always welcomed...
Why don't you write up your idea of an index and toss it up here for discussion/tweaking.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

I was wondering if there might be an interest among the users of these forums
to try to influence MR. Shaw to subsection these forums.
Perhaps to mimic the sections of the Shop Manual or some other logical breakdown.
Using the search function will usually produce numerous unwanted hits, which
one has to peruse through since any use of the searched word will result in a hit.
Most of these will have nothing to do with the information searched.

I do not know who maintains, pays for this service.
Therefore I may be asking for something more than can be provided.
I use these forums frequently and I am thankful for the service.
I just wondered if it could be improved.
Thanks
Paul

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dick Steinkamp
02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Even if the tech talk was subsectioned into "chapters", you'd still be wading through a lot of stuff to find something appropriate to what you are looking for.

You can currently refine your search if you are getting too many hits (just as you do when searching the WWW). You can use multiple words, phrases, use "match exact phrase", etc. to get mostly threads to match what you are looking for.

There are currently quite a few threads started in the wrong forum already (and we only have 4). I don't think one "subsectioned" would stay very clean for very long. Plus, we do "drift" a little at times [:0]. A thread started in the "engine" section, could end up drifting to a discussion on transmissions or carburetors (or fuel mileage, or stock vs modified, etc.) pretty easily.

Right now, I can scan one of the 4 forums quickly to see if there is a thread I'm interested in that I want to open and read. This wouldn't be as quick and easy with a whole bunch of forums.

Bob started a new forum recently due to popular demand on judging. After a couple of months, there are now only 4 threads with the last post over a week ago. [:0].

I would say that we are probably not ready for a bunch more forums if we currently have a hard time handling and participating in 4.

Just my 2 cents.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

JDP
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
It would sure slow down my scanning of the forum to see if I can help with a answer. To have to click on another dozen topics to make sure I did not miss something would be a real PIA.:)

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT Hawk 4 speed
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

pszikszai
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
JDP.
Having subsections should not stop you from scannin the entire section.
But it would allow someone to look at subsection first in which
he or she is primarily interested.

pszikszai
02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I will explain my idea in a little more detail, then I leave it alone.
A drop down box could be used to designate sections, such as the sections in the manual.
It could have an entry for miscellaneous for those not sure what section their post belongs to.
The present entries could go into miscellaneous or something like legacy section.
Secondary Subsections could be added same as in the manuals such as engine six or eight.
A selection from this drop down box would be required before an entry would be accepted for posting.
This would ensure that all entries would be posted to the proper subsections.

Now for the search:
The same drop down box could be used to search all, miscellaneous, or the just
the section you are interested in.

Programming changes:
A two characters could be used to indicate sections.
The same for Sub Sections if desired, such as engine six or eight.
These would have to be added to the database.
At least the top or heading line would have to be changed to add the drop down box.
This is the part where design and programming changes are required.
Of course this have a cost associated with it unless some user is maintaining the site free.

I thought this type of change would simplify looking up information and would aid the user to enter
information into proper sections.

I realize that user comfortable with the present format would have to learn to navigate or use
a drop down box if they want a quicker search.
It could be defaulted to the present format for those not wishing to use the new capabilities
just by not selecting anything in the drop down box when looking up stuff.

I apologize to all whom I have annoyed.

rockne10
02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
quote:I do not know who maintains, pays for this service.

quote:Of course this have a cost associated with it unless some user is maintaining the site free.

This Forum is part of the Studebaker Drivers Club web site and is paid for and maintained by the SDC, of which I hope we are all members. Our esteemed Webmaster, Bob Shaw, holds a position contracted with the SDC. He manages-and very well I might add-not only this forum but all the pages accessible from the SDC "Home" page located above.

quote:I apologize to all whom I have annoyed.
I sense no annoyance. The worst ideas are the ones not offerred.
This Forum has grown exponentially in the last three years and Mr. Shaw has made numerous changes and additions, many from suggestions by users. As it continues to grow new changes will be required and, you can bet, he has already been following the course of this discussion.

BShaw
02-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Paul, your suggestion is welcomed and appreciated. We have discussed breaking out the forum into more categories and I do feel that fewer categories such as we have now (even though I've added a couple since our last discussions) serve our activity and membership size... for the time being.

For the Tech Forum, there are two main user categories to consider:

1. The group of members who visit the forum and review most/all the recent posts since their last visit for the purpose of:

a. providing requested help/answer and/or,
b. general interest in all Studebaker tech discussions

2. The group of members who visit the Tech Forum for the express purpose of finding specific information that may have already been discussed.

The forum features/technologies Paul suggested would seem to have most merit for those in the latter category, whereas the simpler current forum format seems to work well for the former category.

Most every forum system I've seen, including this one, is pre-packaged programming. Ours, Snitz, is a free forum program (frugality is in our blood). While there are graphical, technical and feature differences, most all for-purchase or free forums have the same basic topic posting and search process. I've not come across any using a drop-down menu style/functionality as Paul has suggested. If such forum programming is out there I'd love to see how it works. To create a made-from-scratch forum would be cost-prohibitive for the SDC I am sure.

Still, Paul's point of needing to be able to find relevant Tech posts more easily is valid. Using the "search" function does work, but it can be a time-consuming task to dig through threads that come up to find the info (if it exists).

A first step in making that better starts with following the suggestions in the "Help Us Help You" sticky topic, especially #4.

I will add the suggestion to my list of discussion topics when I meet with the techies next week. We're going to try and find out why posts some times get out of order. And, there are some new forum "mods" we're going to look at (tighter spam control, more/better stats, polls/surveys,spell check)

Geez, I didn't mean for this to get so long. Fingers tired. Going to bed. Play nice.

BShaw,Webmaster
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/StudeRobert/StudeWebService-small.gif
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
Woodbury, Minnesota