Raising the Rear Bumper - 64 -66's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising the Rear Bumper - 64 -66's

There's been a lot of talk through the years about raising the rear bumper of 64-66 Lark-types to give them a more modern appearance. I'm sure many have seen the 67 proposal and the height of its rear bumper. I wanted to raise the bumper on my 66 without going to that extreme. Instead, I redrilled the bumper bracket mounting holes about 3/4" of an inch higher and mounted the bumper just under the rear trim pieces and the gas filler cap. I also moved the whole unit closer to the body. I'm very happy with the results:

(Yep - it's the same shot that showed off my new tires and wheels!)

Compare it with this shot of a stock 64 Challenger:

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    '66 Frankenbaker
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

It looks a lot better. What would you do about the valance?

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Yep:: Looks better .

Comment

I like it.

Good job.

Dean.

Comment

I didn't touch the valance. You can see it under the bumper - but since it curves under and only shows a little it actually looks good.

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          '66 Frankenbaker
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Does it make it more difficult to put the gasoline nozzle in the hole at the gas station?

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
            In the middle of Minnestudea
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I wouldn't think so, in fact there may be a much needed prop to hold the pump in outlet by using the top of the bumper, and the notch created between the bumper and body. I would think the only thing I'd have to worry about is the fuel spillage now runs down the bumper and the back of body [)].

(It's alright though, it's a curse I've had to contend with due to the vertical outlet of the fuel outlet, a wipe rag takes care of that )

I'd also keep the valance since it offers some protection from things hitting the fuel tank in the rear.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0413001627.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0321001800.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000145.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000136.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=left]
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

You can see more of the valance in this shot (and you can see my bumper is a little crooked):

The car is probably 2 1/2" lower than stock, which helps visually too.

Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                '60 Lark HT
                '63 Wagonaire
                '66 Frankenbaker
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Nice job Scott, I find it easier to look at than the Marcks, Hazelquist and Powers '67 proposal.

Comment

The rear valance on these cars are actually the rear body panel. They're not like the early Larks that had a separate valance bolted to the bumper.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Hey Scott,

Tell us more about the car. What engine/tranny set up do you have. How did you lower the suspension, what was the original exterior/interior colour? What else have you done. I think the rear bumper is very creative.

Jonno.

Comment

I like it!! Very nice job that should have been on the 66,s It certainly slims down the back of the body and a satin black finish on the valance area would make it almost invisible.The Daytona trim along the back helps too by getting rid of the painted section.
                        I might try this on my 66.

A.C.Moisley
                        A.C.Moisley

Comment

Chantony,

Yes, the Daytona trim panels really help. That Challenger looks kind of strange with nothing there.

Jonno,

There's more details about the car in the member's pictures section under Frankenbaker! It has an '86 Chevy Caprice police drivetrain - 350 roller cam V-8 with a 700R4 tranny. It also has a 79 Camaro subframe - this gave the car a lower stance up front. In back, I put in 2" lowering blocks. The other 1/2" came from lower profile tires.

Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          '60 Lark HT
                          '63 Wagonaire
                          '66 Frankenbaker
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker