Bad News for Reedsville Regulars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News for Reedsville Regulars

The A.J. Peachey's Restaurant, Grocery, Meat Packing and Ice Cream facility burned down this morning.

Many of the regular visitors to the Reedsville Swap Meet made it a point to visit the breakfast buffet there, and to pack up some of Peachey's smoked meats to take home.

The owners have not yet determined whether they will rebuild the facility.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Oh d amn! Now where will Gary Ash and I get scrapple??

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I sure love scrapple. Have you also heard it called, punhaus. Folks here in OK. have never heard of that stuff, scrapple. We were driving to my HS reunion several years ago, turned south off I-90. I think we were on route 322 around Clearfield, PA... Saw a restaurant sign," scraple", we pulled over and had a second breakfast, scrapple!

Comment

Actually, pon haus is a little different: it only has broth, while scrapple has meat pieces. Kind of similar to Spam. Gotta love that hog head meat!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Actually, pon haus is a little different: it only has broth, while scrapple has meat pieces. Kind of similar to Spam. Gotta love that hog head meat!
          My mother made a dish called pon haus. She grew up in Shipshewana, IN which had many Amish and Mennonite families. Her dish had some shreds of meat in it and I enjoyed it. Hope you can get your scrapple fix.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Articles from the Lewistown Sentinel:

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

What a bummer![V]
              I ate there more than a few times with the Reedsville gang....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Oooh, my wife and I are crying! Peacheys was a wonderful place. There were three businesses: the restaurant, the supermarket, and the gift shop. The restaurant did breakfast, lunch, and early dinner, either buffet style or from the menu. The grocery store had a fabulous meat department and served the local Amish/Mennonite/United Breathern community for every need, even to the extent of having a place to tie up horses and wagons and packaging bulk foods in Amish-acceptable unadorned packaging. Upstairs, the gift shop had hand-crafted items of high quality.

Here's a shot of the main buildings from 2005:

If you want the 360-degree panorama of the store and beautiful surrounding countryside, see this 4 MB file. Be sure to zoom in to see the details of the farm country using the CTRL-+ keys for Internet Explorer or just use the scroll tabs if it comes down in large size. I sure hope that they rebuild!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.
                '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

The scenery in the panorama is beautiful. Sad that a thriving business was destroyed by the fire. Hope they can rebuild.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Gary,

I knew that this news would be particularly bad for you.

As Bob noted, the location is a beautiful area. It is in the "Big Valley" which is home to numerous small farms (many Amish) between the tree covered mountain ridges. Unfortunately, most Studebaker folks only see it in November. It is much more scenic in the summer months.

Jim Bradley
                    Lewistown PA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

Interesting and sad at the same time; beautiful countryside and lifestyle, it would appear. Sorry to see the inferno and read of the area's loss.[V] Thanks for the background info, guys. [8D]BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good news! A.J. Peachey's has announced that they will be rebuilding the business and will reopen well in advance of the Reedsville Swap Meet. They must have heard how disappointed Gary was.

There has been a huge outpouring of community support, and even a fund established by the locals to assist in the rebuilding. I think that this says a lot about the business and the community.

Jim Bradley
                        Lewistown PA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

I think that this says a lot about the business and the community.
                          ...and the Amish people in general[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

A new Peacheys! Oh, boy! I'm already thinking about my Reedsville Saturday morning breakfast from the buffet. Maybe some french toast, scrapple, eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausage, potatoes, fried cornmeal mush - ooh, did I forget biscuits and gravy? All the no-no's will be there for the taking at $5.99.

I'm glad that they have the strength to rebuild. Thanks for the good news.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander