Buying car out of state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying car out of state

Hi again! I am a new member & looking to buy a Hawk. Of course it's out of state. I have never bought a used car out of state before. I live in Ohio and I know I must get a vin tag inspection before I can license it in Ohio. I will probably buy a car at York on March 3rd. The car is not from OH or PA but from yet a different state. Can anyone offer me some advice on this. Do we just go to a notary and the seller just sign the car over to me just like we both lived in the same state? If there are any bricks in the road , I'd like to find it out now. As always, Thanks a bunch! Dan

If you get a title, take it the the BMV. If not, get a bill of sale, take it and the car to any car dealer's service dept and have them verify that the car is the one specified in the bill of sale. Take that verification and the Bill of Sale to the DMV, they will issue a title.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

If you get a title, take it the the BMV. If not, get a bill of sale, take it and the car to any car dealer's service dept and have them verify that the car is the one specified in the bill of sale. Take that verification and the Bill of Sale to the DMV, they will issue a title.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

The other items not mentioned in this are insurance and licensing. If you currently have full coverage insurance the new purchase will also be covered long enough to get the vehicle added to your policy. This can/will vary by state and insurance company. The typical time allowed is 14 to 21 days. Check with your agent before leaving for York.

In most states (not all), the title/bill-of-sale will act as a temporary registration if you are driving the car home. Double check with the Ohio and Pennsylvania DMV's to make sure they do not fall into the 'not all' area.

Ohio has a YOM law that will allow you to use the same year plates as the year of the car. As a quirk in Ohio alone, they don't care whose state plates you use. If you buy a '53 C-K, you can but 1953 plates from Nebraska and be legal (you must carry the 'Classic Car' plate in the car at all times).

Have fun (I wish I could go )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The other items not mentioned in this are insurance and licensing. If you currently have full coverage insurance the new purchase will also be covered long enough to get the vehicle added to your policy. This can/will vary by state and insurance company. The typical time allowed is 14 to 21 days. Check with your agent before leaving for York.

In most states (not all), the title/bill-of-sale will act as a temporary registration if you are driving the car home. Double check with the Ohio and Pennsylvania DMV's to make sure they do not fall into the 'not all' area.

Ohio has a YOM law that will allow you to use the same year plates as the year of the car. As a quirk in Ohio alone, they don't care whose state plates you use. If you buy a '53 C-K, you can but 1953 plates from Nebraska and be legal (you must carry the 'Classic Car' plate in the car at all times).

Have fun (I wish I could go )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B
            get a bill of sale, take it and the car to any car dealer's service dept and have them verify that the car is the one specified in the bill of sale. Take that verification and the Bill of Sale to the DMV, they will issue a title.
            Are you sure? Does this apply in Ohio?

I just don't think you can show up at the DMV office with a bill of sale and a car dealer's verification that the VIN matches the bill of sale and that DMV would issue a new title. Certainly no state I have lived in.

Think how easy it would be to get a title for a stolen car if this was the case. You steal a car. You write out a BOS. You have a dealer verify that the numbers match. You get a new title.

Most states have a process for a missing title, but it isn't quite this simple.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B
              get a bill of sale, take it and the car to any car dealer's service dept and have them verify that the car is the one specified in the bill of sale. Take that verification and the Bill of Sale to the DMV, they will issue a title.
              Are you sure? Does this apply in Ohio?

I just don't think you can show up at the DMV office with a bill of sale and a car dealer's verification that the VIN matches the bill of sale and that DMV would issue a new title. Certainly no state I have lived in.

Think how easy it would be to get a title for a stolen car if this was the case. You steal a car. You write out a BOS. You have a dealer verify that the numbers match. You get a new title.

Most states have a process for a missing title, but it isn't quite this simple.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I happen to know a little about Ohio. A family member of mine is in the car business. Here is the scoop. Confirm that the state that the title is drawn in needs to be noterized(sp). By this I mean certain states require that a title signed over has to be noterized(sp). Ohio has a list of these but probally would not give these to you. It usally states on the title if it is required. I would recommend getting it noterized in all cases just to cover yourself. Now once you get to Ohio you will have to take it to get a vin. inspection. This will be done at a Ohio licinese office. After that is complete, you will have to go to a Ohio Title Dept. to request a title with that paperwork. This is for a car with a CLEAR TITLE. If you buy one that is salavage and or other, then let the games begin. (stay away from a bill of sale at all cost OHIO is not going to give you a title EVER without a title from another state, without a fight) You would have to add and inspection at a Ohio Patrol Station and many other issues such as out of state taxes and transfers and so on(not recommended either). Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I happen to know a little about Ohio. A family member of mine is in the car business. Here is the scoop. Confirm that the state that the title is drawn in needs to be noterized(sp). By this I mean certain states require that a title signed over has to be noterized(sp). Ohio has a list of these but probally would not give these to you. It usally states on the title if it is required. I would recommend getting it noterized in all cases just to cover yourself. Now once you get to Ohio you will have to take it to get a vin. inspection. This will be done at a Ohio licinese office. After that is complete, you will have to go to a Ohio Title Dept. to request a title with that paperwork. This is for a car with a CLEAR TITLE. If you buy one that is salavage and or other, then let the games begin. (stay away from a bill of sale at all cost OHIO is not going to give you a title EVER without a title from another state, without a fight) You would have to add and inspection at a Ohio Patrol Station and many other issues such as out of state taxes and transfers and so on(not recommended either). Good Luck.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Stay away from a bill of sale at all cost OHIO is not going to give you a title EVER without a title from another state, without a fight. You would have to add and inspection at a Ohio Patrol Station and many other issues such as out of state taxes and transfers and so on(not recommended either). Good Luck.
                    The problem here is that many states do not and will not issue a title on a car over 10, 15, or 20 years old (depending on the state) and the transactions in those states are by BOS only. And many of these are in the south.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Stay away from a bill of sale at all cost OHIO is not going to give you a title EVER without a title from another state, without a fight. You would have to add and inspection at a Ohio Patrol Station and many other issues such as out of state taxes and transfers and so on(not recommended either). Good Luck.
                      The problem here is that many states do not and will not issue a title on a car over 10, 15, or 20 years old (depending on the state) and the transactions in those states are by BOS only. And many of these are in the south.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I live in Texas and know what you are talking about. I was told many years ago that getting a title out of Texas with a BOS was extremely differcult. But back to Ohio. I know for a fact it is one of the toughest states to get titles in. They will not even accept a Title companies title from ALA. It is a monster of a state to get by with not paying alot of taxes on a car from out of state. I have a brother who bought a wreck in NJ with a salavge title and Ohio made him pay taxes first in NJ to get the title in his name before they let him get it placed in his name in Ohio. Their reason was the car could be brought into Ohio placed into junk yard and never titled and therefor Ohio would not get any taxes on the car. When you pay tax in NJ,(something to do with the car now can be traced to you) Ohio now knows who's the ownerof record and can check to see if you paid the Ohio taxes. I think as you sell the parts out of the junk yard you have to write the vin# on them and if the person buying them puts them on a salavage car and when Ohio inspects this car they can call up the vin# on these parts and see if the taxes where paid when the car came into the state. Don't really know all the details but it is a tough state to do business in. Good Luck.

Comment

I live in Texas and know what you are talking about. I was told many years ago that getting a title out of Texas with a BOS was extremely differcult. But back to Ohio. I know for a fact it is one of the toughest states to get titles in. They will not even accept a Title companies title from ALA. It is a monster of a state to get by with not paying alot of taxes on a car from out of state. I have a brother who bought a wreck in NJ with a salavge title and Ohio made him pay taxes first in NJ to get the title in his name before they let him get it placed in his name in Ohio. Their reason was the car could be brought into Ohio placed into junk yard and never titled and therefor Ohio would not get any taxes on the car. When you pay tax in NJ,(something to do with the car now can be traced to you) Ohio now knows who's the ownerof record and can check to see if you paid the Ohio taxes. I think as you sell the parts out of the junk yard you have to write the vin# on them and if the person buying them puts them on a salavage car and when Ohio inspects this car they can call up the vin# on these parts and see if the taxes where paid when the car came into the state. Don't really know all the details but it is a tough state to do business in. Good Luck.

Comment

I would talk to your DMV or just look on your state's DMV website. Every state is different for their requirements. In NY all cars older than 1973 have no titles. To sell them you need to sign the back of the most recent 'transferrable' Registration card and a bill of sale.

The link below if from the Ohio BMV, looks like you need to get an Ohio title before you can register it.

John Reich
                            Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
                            John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
                            1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
                            1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

I would talk to your DMV or just look on your state's DMV website. Every state is different for their requirements. In NY all cars older than 1973 have no titles. To sell them you need to sign the back of the most recent 'transferrable' Registration card and a bill of sale.

The link below if from the Ohio BMV, looks like you need to get an Ohio title before you can register it.

John Reich
                              Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
                              John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
                              1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
                              1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X