Tilt steering column for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt steering column for Avanti

Am wanting to replace the standard column with an original tilt steering column in my '63 Avanti. Any advise or knowledge of one available out there would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

The "tilt wheel" was a '64 option, not offered in '63. According to George Kremm, Only 97 cars were equipped with them from the factory. I think a lot of them were on hand when Stude stopped production; and they were popular in Avanti II's.
    The range of adjustment is mostly down, and unusable for most people.
    The unit is similar to tilt wheels used in GM products from that time; particularly Olds. It works well, and is reliable; as is the special turn signal switch. It's just that the range of adjustment is inappropriate.
    Mike M.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike

The "tilt wheel" was a '64 option, not offered in '63. According to George Kremm, Only 97 cars were equipped with them from the factory. I think a lot of them were on hand when Stude stopped production; and they were popular in Avanti II's.
      The range of adjustment is mostly down, and unusable for most people.
      The unit is similar to tilt wheels used in GM products from that time; particularly Olds. It works well, and is reliable; as is the special turn signal switch. It's just that the range of adjustment is inappropriate.
      I had always wanted a '64 with tilt. When I finally got one, as Mike says, it was unusable- had to keep it in the full up position all the time.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My father's 1964 Studebaker Avanti came factory equipped with tilt steering. Unfortunately the feature was missing when we purchased the car for restoration. How difficult is it to obtain an original tilt column or even the specific parts that Studebaker added? - (such as the Avanti spline piece - as I have seen in the parts manual, or the tilt switches).

Thanks,
        Mitch

Comment

Check with Nostalgic Motors or Myer's Studebaker. They have an enormous inventory and may well have such an animal...either NOS or good used.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

They are a Saginaw column, and were also used on GM products of the era. The one I restored had full range up and down. (3 up, centered, and 3 down).
            I got the turn signal switch, and control cable from Impala Bobs'. I'm sure there are other classic chevy dealers like Danchucks that will also have them.
            I had Y and Z yesteryear parts make a complete wiring harness for this car, and included the tilt harness from the signal switch to the stock harness plug. Brian was great to work with. I also provided the trunk harness, the harness to the taillights, the front headlight buckets, and also the turn signal. So the make everything, and it is correct.
            Dave Tbow now sells Y and Z harnesses.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X