Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT hawk thoughts

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading your writings and needs some ideas.
    Our 62 Hawk needs a rewire badly and am wondering if anyone has
    run the pertronix distributor and their brand coil?
    thanks!
    Sid

Don't know if they make a distributor for a Stude, but I have the electronic modules in two cars and they work good. The coils seem to have a high failure rate compared to stock coils according to forum comments.

Comment

Thanks Doug! Is there a coil everyone likes, and which resistance?
      I found a wiring diagram somewhere last night for making the tach work without
      the resistive wire. Sorry for all of the questions but I want to do a good job.

Comment

I've had problems with several Pertronix coils and as a result I won't use them when I install a Pertronix module. Usually, the coil that is already on the engine will work fine with the Pertronix unit. Leave the resistor wire in series with the coil as the difference in output voltage without the resistor is only 4 or 5 kilovolts which means no difference in performance on a stock Stude engine and the coil will run cooler with a little less primary voltage going to it when the resistor is left in the system. I don't believe that a Pertronix coil with a 1.5 ohm primary winding will survive without a resistor as the coil runs really hot, I don't care what Pertronix claims. Bud

Comment

I have the Pertronix module in the Delco dist in the 59 Lark, I run their Flame Thrower coil and have had no issues. At first I ran it with the resistor wire and had issues, then I wired it direct with a switch and fuse. Anti Theft Devise!!!!
          I did upgrade to Accel wires also.
          The little Lark seemed to be more peppy.
          Just in case I have the points and all the goodies to do a roadside repair in the glovebox.
          I converted my 1976 Harley to electronic ignition and it crapped out leaving me stranded.
          Lesson Learned!!

59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
          27 Ford Roadster
          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies
          59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
          27 Ford Roadster
          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

I installed a Pertronix Ignitor and their recommended Flame Thrower coil system in the Cruiser 3 years ago and in the Hawk 2 years ago. Both use the Stude factory resistor wire as power. Now I am not talking about a lot of miles here, but so far they have performed well. I do agree that the reduced voltage does allow the coil to run cooler and that should help longevity. In the past I experimented using full voltage (12.5-14.2approx.)wiring and found that the coil would get extremely hot and decided that it can't be a good thing. Obviously other forum member have had varying experiences on this subject.

Dean

CLEM DESEE MISTY
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
            X