Need Help for Insurance Purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help for Insurance Purposes

I am trying to get my 1954 Coupe Commander insured after 6.5 years of restoration amd all of the local company's want an apraisal. No one around here knows enough about Studebakers to give an accurate figure. Is there any other options

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

Two thoughts:

We have a member (although not currently signing) forum name Swifster that I believe does appraisals. He may still be answering his email.

Secondly, I'd check with the classic car insurers ( Haggerty, Condon and Skelly, etc). They are generally less expensive on restored cars and they will write "Agreed Upon Value" policies that you can name the value (within reason) and pay based on that value. Most have very good reputations.

Bob

Comment

Generally some Classic car insurance companies insure for agreed value. My current carrier is J.C.Taylor and all they require is some pictures of the vehicle if its value is below $25.000.00 No appraisal required. I might add that Classic car insurers only insure vehicles if they are not used for daily transportation, in other words they have limits on the type of use such as club functions,tours,shows, etc.

Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Check Turning Wheels. There's a guy out in California that does Studebaker appraisals by picture. He appraised my Cruiser for Hagerty. Sorry, it's been a few years and I can't remember his name.

Mark Anderson
        Member SDC and FMCA
        Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

When I insured with Hagerty in 2004 they requested a photo and insured the car with a stated value policy. No appraisal required.
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Bryant

When I insured with Hagerty in 2004 they requested a photo and insured the car with a stated value policy. No appraisal required.
            I went with Hagerty two years ago and the system still worked like this. Fortunately I have not had to file a claim, but they are very realistic about classic cars.

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The official SDC appraiser is Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts & Service in the card file in the back of your Turning Wheels. 1-800 264-5275
              1-800 2 64 LARK ! [^]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks this has been helpful. This is the funny thing, they said anyone can give the appraisal, no liscene required. So, why can they not take my word for how much it is worth?......You seen the commercials "PRICELESS" to me. I guess thats why. Is there anyone near York,SC that wants a free lunch. Come appraise my car and I will provide the lunch. Thanks Again...

Domenic Manera
                York, SC 29745

Comment

I wonder how one would arrive at a car like Domenic's- truly a stunning restoration[]. How about a picture, Domenic?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                  Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I have a few more finishing touches before I can post further pictures, but they will be coming soon. Thanks for the compliment on the restoration.

Domenic Manera
                    York, SC 29745

Comment

I recommend Grundy, they will write an Agreed Value policy with just pictures, mine is for $42,000. That may be more than it's worth in the market, but it is probably what it would cost to duplicate it if totalled. This is different than a Stated Value which can be adjusted in the event of a claim. It is worth your while to learn the difference between Agreed value and Stated value. My Policy with Grundy also covers road services, travel interruption and even covers a reasonable number of spare parts should my shop be destroyed. You can also get coverage for cars under construction/restoration or even in storage. I found their rates to be considerably less than Hagerty for similar coverage. Their reputation is also stellar, check them out at www.grundy.com.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
                      '54 Conestoga Future Project

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I have all my cars insured with State Farm. They have a good program for classic cars. Check with an agent in your neck of the woods.

Fred

[IMG]
                        Fred

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Dominic

I googled and found this site that has offices in locations near you. I've never used them, but it's worth checking out. Hope this helps.
                          Auto Appraisal Group

North Carolina: Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh-Durham, Statesville

South Carolina: Chapin, Charleston, Columbia, Florence, Greenville, Kershaw, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Sumter

Bob Feaganes

Comment

I can do it with a haft dozen good pictures. I'm a court citified expert in Studebaker values due to a court case I testified in Oddly, it was a C-K involved in the case.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for all of the info this really helps.
                              York, SC 29745

Comment

Working...
                              X