PDA

View Full Version : Best ebay scam so for

JDP
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
This one was a fake second chance offer on Brandon's R2 and included my real and ebay user name.

"eBay sent this message to "my name/user name"
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Lucky you. Here's a second chance to buy the item you recently lost.
eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member through My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Learn more

Lucky you, John! The seller has offered you a second chance to buy this item. The second time can be a charm.

Message from brandont26:
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I am reconsidering your offer of US $6,999.00. If still interested to buy it at US $6,999.00 and you already have the funds, please let me know asap.

Please kindly reply to this email with your answer!

Thank you! "

JDP Maryland

Gunslinger
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Several years ago on Ebay I was selling a Corvette. The auction ended suddenly a day before it was due to end and within a few minutes my car was re-listed NINE times...all with different buy-it-now prices as low as $1500! The ads were all my ad, ID and photos.

I contacted Ebay immediately and all the bogus ads were removed with no damage to my account, though I did have to change my ID and password twice.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

JDP
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Several years ago on Ebay I was selling a Corvette. The auction ended suddenly a day before it was due to end and within a few minutes my car was re-listed NINE times...all with different buy-it-now prices as low as $1500! The ads were all my ad, ID and photos.

I contacted Ebay immediately and all the bogus ads were removed with no damage to my account, though I did have to change my ID and password twice.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

I forwarded the scam offer to spoof@ebay.com

JDP Maryland

Brandon
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
This is the first I heard of a second chance offer. The car is paid for and shipped last week. These scams came be scary. I will keep a look out for them.

Invalid User Name
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up John.

Doug
Venice, Florida
1950 Champion
9G F1
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/w4jdz/Stu-1.jpg

bams50
04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
You guys are all fools. I got the same offer, and while you were all putzing around I grabbed the deal! Thanks to the miracle of technology I was able to wire the money in just a few minutes, and he said if I would wire it right away he would deliver the car for just $500 more. Fabulous!

Thanks for snoozing here, guys. He said he will be bringing it to me in just 4 business days. Hooray for me!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Ephesians 6:10-17

Bamajak
04-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I got the same offer.......but I had him fax me the car.....as soon as I can get it out of the fax machine I will go for a drive.

Jack White
Charlotte,NC
North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

curt
04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I just bid $100 over the listed bid, my bid was rejected, and the winning bid a few minutes later was for the amount I bid. Is this normal? What goes?

JDP
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by curt

I just bid $100 over the listed bid, my bid was rejected, and the winning bid a few minutes later was for the amount I bid. Is this normal? What goes?

Yes, the bidder you were bidding against had a higher proxy bid in place and you did not beat it, but it will increase his proxy by the $100 you bid in your failed attempt to out bid him.

JDP Maryland

StudeMichael
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I just wonder how the guy got my name? Even had my middle initial which EBAY does not include. Don't kid around about this guys. The person doing this is a criminal and this is not to be taken lightly.

Turbopackman
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
This is one of the reasons why I change my password on eBay every other month. Also, if you use Firefox, and you get an email from "eBay", it will tell you if it's a spoof site. A verrrryyy nice feature that's saved my pattootie more than once.

Eric Boyle
Packard Engineering, LTD.
Wichita, Ks.

<---Posts may contain anywhere from 30-100% sarcasm--->

edpjr
04-12-2010, 10:46 PM
That is the $64K question. How did he get user ID's, names and bid amounts that are hidden? Sounds like another eBay security issue to me. :(

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

I just wonder how the guy got my name? Even had my middle initial which EBAY does not include. Don't kid around about this guys. The person doing this is a criminal and this is not to be taken lightly.

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

Doug M
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I gon't know how it is done. The other day I got a emall from a friend obout a big three wheel motorcycle there was >< to look at other pictures when I cliked on them I got all the pictures I had looked at that night and I had closed out all the links. I don't understande these computtors.

JDP
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by edpjr

That is the $64K question. How did he get user ID's, names and bid amounts that are hidden? Sounds like another eBay security issue to me. :(

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

You are correct, they had my user name, real name and bid amount, someone is at least hacking that info. Might be as simple as a ebay employee selling the data or the code to get it.

JDP Maryland

Avantidon
04-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I had the same experience last fall on the clone R-3 Avanti that was listed on eBay. Knowing the owner i called him and boy was he surprised because the second price offer was less than the cost of the engine in the car. We both reported it to eBay via spoof@ebay.com and that is the last we heard from eBay. Apparently they have done nothing or have yet to check these folks that are perpetrating these scams. Like JP they had all of my correct info. My advice is to be very careful of Second Chance Offers you receive from eBay users.

curt
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
My son found someone on eBay using his user name and pass word. They were using a post office box address for the purchased items. He figured something was a miss when he saw some messages on 'My eBay.' He said ,"Boy am I glad they did not get pay pall pass word." He is going to change passwords often from now on."

Chantony
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi! The scam's still going on.I've got about three days left to get the funds to Brandon through eBay,so we can both leave each other positive feedback.The best part is that Brandon's willing to ship the car to my door in Australia fully insured for $1349.It's a deal that's too good to be true,so I just know it's a winner and that poor old Brandon's losing out big time in the shipping as I can't see how it's possible to get the car to my door for $1349.
Better yet,Brandon's willing to refund me the money if I'm not happy with the car.I can even think about it for ten days!!!! What do you guys think???Sounds good hey!!!!!

A.C.Moisley

mdelapp
04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
My experience with scammers has been, when I ask them about coming to see the car, there is always some issue. One told me that it wasnt in California now, but in Idaho. Lucky I told him, my brother works for the charter airline and can fly me to Idaho. When I push to come and see it and always find a way to cirucmvent thier reason why it has moved, they suddenly stop communicating with me.

I sometimes find it sporting to banter with them to drive them crazy. I will sometimes ask for a particular photo of a part of the car, with a newspaper headline next to it.

I guess I need a project.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/druefer/Stude4.jpg