Speedometer Cable Lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Cable Lube

I will start a new thread regarding my bouncing speedo.
    As others have already noted in the 100 mile drive Commander thread, my speedometer should be lubricated. Now, I have been messing around w/cars for a long time, but I have never had to fool w/speedometer cable repair. Getting the proper lube is a given now. My questions are:
    Should I remove the entire cable assembly? I hope not as fishing the head through the dash panel looks like a pain to me.
    Can I disconnect the cable housing at either end and remove the drive cable out of the housing and wipe down, relubricate and reinstall?

What are the best options for this?
    Thanks in advance.
    David

[img=left]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SuHaRG4eFas/SevU9Pcl-jI/AAAAAAAACJs/cRB5QokGtEs/s288/DSC01155.JPG[/img=left]
    David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
    1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
    1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K
    sigpic

David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
    1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
    1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (56)
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (83)
    1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K

The cable can be removed at both ends, leaving a connector about 7/8 inch in diameter, which may be hard to get thru the firewall. This, however is what I would do.
    Remove said cable and remove the inner part. It will only come out one way. (I don't know which way) It probably will be dirty, don't do in in the living room. Use mineral spirits or kerosene or some such to clean both pieces inside and out. There is a debate as to what is the best lube for the inner cable. I've always thought that graphite powder was best, that's what it's sold for, but Jon Myer told me to use white grease (Lithium grease) That's what I've used on my Studes and had no problems. Perhaps if I drove in below zero weather it might get thick and cause problems, but I don't do that.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

You can reach behind the panel to disconnect the cable from the speedo. There is a knurled nut that attaches the cable housing to the speedometer. You can fish the cable housing out of the dash for easy removal of the cable itself as it pulls right out of the housing from the top. Most of the larger parts houses should have the correct lube for speedometer cables. While the cable is loose be sure to put a drop or two of light oil in the oil cup on the back of the speedometer. It's located on top of the input shaft where the cable is connected. Bud

Comment

Working...
      X