Door handle gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door handle gasket?

I'm getting all the exterior gaskets together for my 53 Starliner for installation when it returns from the paint shop. I've looked for a set of exterior door handle gaskets but have been told the 53s did not use them. I'd really like to have something between the new paint and the handles. Did Studebaker use gaskets? If not does anyone offer any for those of us that aren't that concerned about originality? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

No and no, Darryl.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They were never used on any passenger cars that I'm aware of, but I once saw gaskets on a T-Cab (which uses the same door handles). The owner said they came on certain Canadian built trucks. I'm not sure if that's true, but I would also be happy if someone made them available.

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1937 Dictator Streetrod
      1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
      1953 Commander Convertible
      1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

T-Cabs built in Canada? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

My 66 Rambler had nice little molded rubber gaskets at each end of the handle. Was a nice touch. I think they only did that a couple years tho.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You could go with the stainless steel guards behind the handles if you like. They were a optional item. I think they fit all cars from '53 to '66 but the later style is different than the early, depending if you want to have "correct" accessories on the car.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the the stainless steel guard idea.

Comment

In this vein, on the '53, what other exterior trim didn't have gaskets?

'53 Commander
              '53 Commander
              Art Morrison chassis
              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

What exterior trim DID have gaskets? I fabricated some for tail light housings and lift bars.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '60 Lark VI
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ralt12

In this vein, on the '53, what other exterior trim didn't have gaskets?
                  Most, I believe. Top of rear quarter stainless, grill surrounds, hood ornament, tail light bodies, belt mouldings, cowl mouldings, door locks, headlight surrounds, trunk handle. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any "trim" that had gaskets.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Its not quite true the trunk handle has no gasket. The mounting studs have rubber washers between the pot metal bar and the trunk lid. They are not visible unless you look underneath. I've taken apart a couple of these and they are usually pretty rotten and fall apart or get left off. The pot metal beltline pcs have similar rubber washers for the studs that go through by the wipers. Then the wiper post chrome bezels also have a washer. I think the optional backup lights have a rubber gasket of some sort too. The only other thing I know has a gasket is the trunk lock bezel. Like Dick listed on the other stuff I agree pretty sure no gaskets. Except for the wiper and trunk lock ones the others are not visible.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

When I started working at White Western Star Trucks in 1973 the first thing I noticed was that the trucks used a Studebaker door handle. Later I became the purchasing agent for small hardware for these trucks and I asked the vendor if they had ever supplied Studebaker. If I remember correctly they were called Mid State Die Castings or something like that (somewhere in Michigan I believe). Anyway they said YES they had supplied Studebaker and that these door handles were almost identical. Like a 56 President outside door handle but nor like the latest Larks. Anyway the difference was that the door handle had to be mounted with two screws instead of a hook in front and screw in behind like on a Studebaker.
                      To make a long story short, White Motors and Western Star Trucks supplied rubber gaskets for these door handles. I "stole" quite a few sets at the time because they fit all Studebaker door handles to the end of production. There was a small one for the front of the handle and a larger one for the back of it where it contacted the door. I "think" I remember the part numbers 02-7012882 and 02-7012883 for the gaskets. I hope my memory is correct. Those are White/Western Star/Autocar part numbers. The tiny gaskets were manufactured by Robin Industries in Cleveland Ohio and they had a tiny robin pulling a worm image cast into their rubber parts. Sort of like Michelin has Bibendum (the Michelin man) in all their tires.
                      That was in the 70s so I don't know if Robin Industries still exists or if there are any gaskets left at any White Motors dealers.
                      It's funny somebody should ask this question and revive my memory.

Comment

Well that probably solves the mystery of where the ones I saw came from. So who's going to be the first to track a stash of these down and put 'em one at a time on eBay?
                        P.S. Who remembers part numbers after 30+ years??

Steve Hudson
                        The Dalles, Oregon
                        1937 Dictator Streetrod
                        1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                        1953 Commander Convertible
                        1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                        The Dalles, Oregon
                        1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                        1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                        1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

A really good partsman of course!

Comment

Steve,
                            I hope my memory works. I know I can't remember names like actors or recording artists, but numbers I do well with. I THINK those are the part numbers. Like you say -- after 30 years????

Comment

Working...
                            X