Last South Bend Built Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last South Bend Built Packard

I've seen articles about the last Detroit built Packards and South Bend built Studebakers. What about the Packardbaker. What was the last day that a Packard was built in South Bend and what model was it ?

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

I've seen articles about the last Detroit built Packards and South Bend built Studebakers. What about the Packardbaker. What was the last day that a Packard was built in South Bend and what model was it ?
    A 4-door Sedan with Overdrive, of all things! [:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

A 4-door Sedan with Overdrive, of all things! [:0] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ok Bob, what happened to it? Where did it go? Is it still around?

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ok Bob, what happened to it? Where did it go? Is it still around?

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi
            That was a question that was on my mind for quite a while, so I emailed Richard Quinn and ask if he would search out that last build order in the SNM Archive.
            He kindly did so and published his findings in his Almanac column in the August 2002 issue of Turning Wheels.

Paraphasing the specifics: 'One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was Serial No. 58L-8134, Body No. 905, Engine No. 2125, a solid Mountain Blue metallic four sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, no delivery destination unspecified'
            The only lead where it might have gone is the notation under SHIP VIA: WK S
            Note that the assembly date was the 25th, the commonly reported last day the 13th was only the announcement date that Packard production was ending.
            From the description, it sounds as if the car was ordered for a specific customer, really an oddly equipped for general sale. What became of it? Where is it now? Probably long lost, but keep the serial no. in mind, it might yet turn up where least expected.
            Hope this answers your question.
            Steve

Comment

Hi
              That was a question that was on my mind for quite a while, so I emailed Richard Quinn and ask if he would search out that last build order in the SNM Archive.
              He kindly did so and published his findings in his Almanac column in the August 2002 issue of Turning Wheels.

Paraphasing the specifics: 'One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was Serial No. 58L-8134, Body No. 905, Engine No. 2125, a solid Mountain Blue metallic four sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, no delivery destination unspecified'
              The only lead where it might have gone is the notation under SHIP VIA: WK S
              Note that the assembly date was the 25th, the commonly reported last day the 13th was only the announcement date that Packard production was ending.
              From the description, it sounds as if the car was ordered for a specific customer, really an oddly equipped for general sale. What became of it? Where is it now? Probably long lost, but keep the serial no. in mind, it might yet turn up where least expected.
              Hope this answers your question.
              Steve

Comment

What I was curious to know is, was there any photographs, mention, etc. of the last Packard being built. Looking at the new issue of the Cormorant, theres a great article about the last days/closing of the factory. Theres even a photo of the happy, soon to be unemployed workers posing by the last Detroit produced Packard.

You would think that there would be some photos of the last Packardbaker. Granted, some say its a Packard , others deny it but, the fact of the matter is, its a product of the marraige of both companies.

Did they go out to the line and say throw away the Packard emblems and start slapping on Studebaker ?? Did they layoff any employees ??

Comment

What I was curious to know is, was there any photographs, mention, etc. of the last Packard being built. Looking at the new issue of the Cormorant, theres a great article about the last days/closing of the factory. Theres even a photo of the happy, soon to be unemployed workers posing by the last Detroit produced Packard.

You would think that there would be some photos of the last Packardbaker. Granted, some say its a Packard , others deny it but, the fact of the matter is, its a product of the marraige of both companies.

Did they go out to the line and say throw away the Packard emblems and start slapping on Studebaker ?? Did they layoff any employees ??

Comment

Thanks Steve. That answers some questions but, you would think that with the retiring/death whatever you want to call it, of the Packard name, there would be some type of publicity.

Comment

Thanks Steve. That answers some questions but, you would think that with the retiring/death whatever you want to call it, of the Packard name, there would be some type of publicity.

Comment

'Don't know what happened to it, or if it even still exists. Ditto that last "real" Packard built in Detroit. It sure would be nice to find either or both of them. At least their numbers are known, so they could be documented if they are ever suspected of being found.

Good things like that still happen: The overdrive 1956 Golden Hawk my Dad's dealership sold new fell off the face of the earth for over 40 years...and all of a sudden, reappeared barely 60 miles from where it was sold new! And THEN it wound up fully restored and on the cover of Hemmings Classic Car just last year! BP

Comment

'Don't know what happened to it, or if it even still exists. Ditto that last "real" Packard built in Detroit. It sure would be nice to find either or both of them. At least their numbers are known, so they could be documented if they are ever suspected of being found.

Good things like that still happen: The overdrive 1956 Golden Hawk my Dad's dealership sold new fell off the face of the earth for over 40 years...and all of a sudden, reappeared barely 60 miles from where it was sold new! And THEN it wound up fully restored and on the cover of Hemmings Classic Car just last year! BP

Comment

Bob, similar story with the '56 Caribbean convertible the Carl E. Filer Co. of Greenville, PA sold new. I remembered the Doctor's name that bought it new. While at Hershey about a decade or more ago, I spoke with one of the Tareshawty Brothers, big names in Packard-dom for sure. I saw on a board of cars for sale at his space, a Carib like Filer's sold. I know the white/blue/bronze color was somewhat common for Caribs, but I mentioned the Doctor's name and that I knew of one that was sold in Grenville new (Greenville is probably forty miles from Youngstown). Tareshawtys said, "The one we just sold has a plate that says 'specially built' for a Doctor". I gave him my address and he later sent copies of paperwork he had made before he had just sold the car to a guy in NC. By God, it was the car Filer's sold and he had the new car paperwork to prove it! He had bought the car for $500 in rough shape some twenty years before in a farming community probably halfway between Greenville and Youngstown. When I was working in NC I looked the current owner up and he very graciously let me look at the car...still had the "This Caribbean Custom-Built for A.L. Bailey, M.D." plaque on the dash (although I later learned it had been pulled out of factory stock for the sale, per an old article on '56 Caribs in the Cormorant News Bulletin)! It was shipped across Lake Erie to the docks in Cleveland and Ed Filer and mechanic Chub Eddy went and picked it up. Chub still says he remembers the trip...first time he ever ate frog legs (in a restaurant in Cleveland)!

Bill Pressler
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob, similar story with the '56 Caribbean convertible the Carl E. Filer Co. of Greenville, PA sold new. I remembered the Doctor's name that bought it new. While at Hershey about a decade or more ago, I spoke with one of the Tareshawty Brothers, big names in Packard-dom for sure. I saw on a board of cars for sale at his space, a Carib like Filer's sold. I know the white/blue/bronze color was somewhat common for Caribs, but I mentioned the Doctor's name and that I knew of one that was sold in Grenville new (Greenville is probably forty miles from Youngstown). Tareshawtys said, "The one we just sold has a plate that says 'specially built' for a Doctor". I gave him my address and he later sent copies of paperwork he had made before he had just sold the car to a guy in NC. By God, it was the car Filer's sold and he had the new car paperwork to prove it! He had bought the car for $500 in rough shape some twenty years before in a farming community probably halfway between Greenville and Youngstown. When I was working in NC I looked the current owner up and he very graciously let me look at the car...still had the "This Caribbean Custom-Built for A.L. Bailey, M.D." plaque on the dash (although I later learned it had been pulled out of factory stock for the sale, per an old article on '56 Caribs in the Cormorant News Bulletin)! It was shipped across Lake Erie to the docks in Cleveland and Ed Filer and mechanic Chub Eddy went and picked it up. Chub still says he remembers the trip...first time he ever ate frog legs (in a restaurant in Cleveland)!

Bill Pressler
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X