New User Sort Of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User Sort Of

I'm a new user checking in. I've been watching for a while but never said anything. I have 2 Studebaker trucks one is a 1949 2R-15 we've decided but someone has put a 16 cab on it. The other is a 5E6 champ. I just got the champ this last weekend so I am going to be putting most of my time in it for a while. Here they are together:

Any info on the champ would be appreciated. It has a an OHV 6 which I have read didn't come out until 61 so it can't be original. I also wonder if it has overdrive. Looking at the wiring diagrams there is a switch and I think I have identified it on the firewall but its not hooked up. Probably because they changed the engine. Reverse is in the upper right position and the stick is on the floor that is about all I know about the tranny right now. Tell me what you think and anything you know about it. I am hoping to make this an everyday driver that can go down the road at todays speeds. Here is a picture of the engine compartment for reference.

Edit I just noticed I said upper left for reverse and I meant upper right.

1949 2R15 with a 16 cab.
    1960 5E6 Champ

Welcome to the forum!
    You've already fit right in, as you posted pic's on your first post, and bought more than one Stude!
    Look forward to reading about your progress!
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      You've already fit right in, as you posted pic's on your first post, and bought more than one Stude!
      Look forward to reading about your progress!
      Jeff[8D]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If your Champ is a 5E6, it originally came with the Commander 245.6 engine. The OHV six did indeed come out in 1961 for trucks(and cars).

Another resource if you havent found it yet is a forum specifically for Studebaker trucks.
        Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Its part of the Studebaker Truck website.
        Easy to use website building tool for your professional or personal website and blog, web hosting, domain registration, email and more at Tripod.com!

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28
        4E2
        59 Lark
        etc

Comment

If your Champ is a 5E6, it originally came with the Commander 245.6 engine. The OHV six did indeed come out in 1961 for trucks(and cars).

Another resource if you havent found it yet is a forum specifically for Studebaker trucks.
          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Its part of the Studebaker Truck website.
          Easy to use website building tool for your professional or personal website and blog, web hosting, domain registration, email and more at Tripod.com!

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28
          4E2
          59 Lark
          etc

Comment

I have been on the Studebaker truck forum too just never said anything there either. I read over there that this truck is somewhat rare. Especially with the 245 in it. Sounds like I need to get one.

1949 2R15 with a 16 cab.
            1960 5E6 Champ

Comment

I have been on the Studebaker truck forum too just never said anything there either. I read over there that this truck is somewhat rare. Especially with the 245 in it. Sounds like I need to get one.

1949 2R15 with a 16 cab.
              1960 5E6 Champ

Comment

Welcome!! I think I am the one you contacted to join the Ozark Trails SDC. You should come and join us at some of our meeting. We are going to have a cook out in Thayer, Ks. and go to Chqnute, Ks. For some tours and shows. April 14th If you are interested send me a e-mail We would be glad to have you and your wife. There will be contacts for parts. We have one guy in our club who is a vendor and mechanic. Studebakers is the only thing he knows.

Comment

Welcome!! I think I am the one you contacted to join the Ozark Trails SDC. You should come and join us at some of our meeting. We are going to have a cook out in Thayer, Ks. and go to Chqnute, Ks. For some tours and shows. April 14th If you are interested send me a e-mail We would be glad to have you and your wife. There will be contacts for parts. We have one guy in our club who is a vendor and mechanic. Studebakers is the only thing he knows.

Comment

Howdy,

Yeah - too bad that 245s still not in there! You could probably find one if you wanted. Since you indicate you've got a floor shift tranny, is it a 3-spd or 4??? If it's a 3-spd, then someone invented a floor shifter for it. If it's a 4-spd, that would explain no wires on the switch since there's no OD on a 4-spd. IF it was a 5-spd (a remote possibility) 5th could be direct drive OR Overdrive.

On your 2R, the cabs would've been practically the same. It's the front fenders that are different a bit - bigger wheel openings. 2R10's & 2R11's that came with 16" wheels used the larger opening fenders, so that might be the case with yours. It looks to have rather large wheels.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Howdy,

Yeah - too bad that 245s still not in there! You could probably find one if you wanted. Since you indicate you've got a floor shift tranny, is it a 3-spd or 4??? If it's a 3-spd, then someone invented a floor shifter for it. If it's a 4-spd, that would explain no wires on the switch since there's no OD on a 4-spd. IF it was a 5-spd (a remote possibility) 5th could be direct drive OR Overdrive.

On your 2R, the cabs would've been practically the same. It's the front fenders that are different a bit - bigger wheel openings. 2R10's & 2R11's that came with 16" wheels used the larger opening fenders, so that might be the case with yours. It looks to have rather large wheels.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The champ has a 4 speed with reverse in the upper right corner. I wish it was 5. Where would 5th be in the pattern? I am wanting to eventually put the 245 in it since it is rare to have one in the champ and its original. If I did what are my options for transimission like I said I want it to get up to normal driving speeds and I'd like to have overdrive. I guess since it has the switch it should be possible to get overdrive back. I do have a 59 Lark that came with it that is supposed to be a parts car but it seems to be a little good for that but it does have the overdrive switch hooked up so I assume it has that transmission.

The 2R has 17 inch rims on it. It had a tag that was laying in the glove box that said 2R16 but when we ordered brakes for that we found out it was actually a 2R15. It does have the 170 in it but we don't know much about the cab or anything else.

1949 2R15 with a 16 cab.
                        1960 5E6 Champ

Comment

The champ has a 4 speed with reverse in the upper right corner. I wish it was 5. Where would 5th be in the pattern? I am wanting to eventually put the 245 in it since it is rare to have one in the champ and its original. If I did what are my options for transimission like I said I want it to get up to normal driving speeds and I'd like to have overdrive. I guess since it has the switch it should be possible to get overdrive back. I do have a 59 Lark that came with it that is supposed to be a parts car but it seems to be a little good for that but it does have the overdrive switch hooked up so I assume it has that transmission.

The 2R has 17 inch rims on it. It had a tag that was laying in the glove box that said 2R16 but when we ordered brakes for that we found out it was actually a 2R15. It does have the 170 in it but we don't know much about the cab or anything else.

1949 2R15 with a 16 cab.
                          1960 5E6 Champ

Comment

The kickdown switch was probably for the 245.6's overdrive transmission since three speed trannys the only ones with overdrive, other than the 5 spds.

Usually the 4 spds used with OHV sixes are T-98 truck trannies with low 1st gear.

A 5spd OD has the 5th gear over to the right and up.

3E38
                            4E2
                            4E28
                            5E13
                            7E7
                            8E7
                            8E12
                            8E28
                            4E2
                            59 Lark
                            etc

Comment

The kickdown switch was probably for the 245.6's overdrive transmission since three speed trannys the only ones with overdrive, other than the 5 spds.

Usually the 4 spds used with OHV sixes are T-98 truck trannies with low 1st gear.

A 5spd OD has the 5th gear over to the right and up.

3E38
                              4E2
                              4E28
                              5E13
                              7E7
                              8E7
                              8E12
                              8E28
                              4E2
                              59 Lark
                              etc

Comment