PDA

View Full Version : Ross Steering Gear Questions

cliffh
02-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I am trying to determine what my options are for rebuilding/replacing the steering gear in my 54 Commander Coupe and still maintain the stock appearance. It currently has the Ross TL box with the usual problem of not being able to adjust the play at the center of travel without causing binding at the ends of the travel. I have not removed this gearbox yet because I don't want to disable the vehicle for too long. I do have an identical Ross TL box from my parts car with the identical problem. I dissassembled this extra gearbox expecting to find large flat spots on the cam lever shaft pins but found fairly shallow flat spots. I took the shaft into my Friendly Local Auto Machine Shop (FLAMS?). He thought that turning the pins 90 degrees would probably not help much because most of the wear might be in the worm itself. A check of the usual vendors on-line catalogs did not turn up any gearboxes or replacement worm/steering shafts.

1. The posts on this forum and other tech help articles suggest that rotating the pins or replacing the Cam Lever Shaft will fix the problem. I didn't find any mention of wear to the worm itself. Has anyone been unable to rebuild a gearbox because the worm was too worn out?

2. Are there any NOS worm/steering shafts for sale?

3. Does anyone know who might have a good or rebuilt Ross or Saginaw gearbox with the 53/54 C/K steering shaft for sale?

4. If it were possible to find a newer Ross/Saginaw gearbox in good or rebuilt condition, would it be possible/advisable to splice on the 53/54 steering shaft? My auto machinist said he could splice them by welding on a collar and it would be safe. Or is it possible to separate the shaft from the worm and swap shafts?

Thanks.
Cliff

64V-K7
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
The pin(s) on the early sector shafts are more prone to wear than the spiral gear, since the same spot on the tips are always in contact with it. The usual patch for this is to turn it 90 degrees. I'd try that first before counting the worm gear out. Later boxes ( Avanti, etc) had a sector with a rotating pin. S.I. sells parts for most all of the boxes..

DaveMartin
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Did you find a solution to your problem? I posted a similar question about 6 months later.
I have the same model, but with a Saginaw box, very worn out, can't drive it on the highway.
I was advised to get a Lark Saginaw box and adapt it. Not all Larks had Saginaw, not sure which ones did.

Thanks,
Dave Martin

warrlaw1
10-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Lark has a different shaft length, I believe. S.I. had replacement parts for my 55K Ross box, even though the catalogue showed "No Stock". Give 'em a call, they may surprise you!

Dwain G.
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
You may find this article helpful.............
http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/MrEd.jpg
HEY, you're not Wilbur!

sweetolbob
10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Cliff

I have a 54 Ross box left from the 54K build. I have not checked the condition but will if you're interested. It's available for shipping.

Don't know where you are but let me know if you are interested.

Bob

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/P1000416.jpg?t=1227109182, http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/031-1.jpg?t=1254424814

DaveMartin
10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Bob,
I have in my posession a Ross box from a 59 Lark thinking it was a Saginaw. So I might be interested if it was in good shape, at least better than my 54 Saginaw. I am in Bend, OR.

I would like to do the conversion that is posted using the Lark Saginaw. I have the details on that, just need to find one.

Not sure if Cliff will be reading this, the original post is 2 yrs old.

DaveMartin

cliffh
10-15-2009, 01:00 AM
I rebuilt my Ross TL box a couple of years ago and it seems to be good with very little play in it but I haven't put it in a car yet. I replaced the gaskets, oil seal, and the bushings for the cam lever shaft. I took the cam lever shaft to my favorite machine shop and he turned the pins 90 degrees and welded them back in. There's a web page that shows how to do it but I can't find it right now.

My 54 coupe had a lot of wander and seemed to have too much play in the steering gear but a lot of the problem went away when I switched to wider rims and radial tires. I still plan on installing the rebuilt steering gear someday because the one in the 54 has either a little too much play or a tight spot depending on how I adjust the end play on the cam lever shaft.

Bob, thanks for the most generous offer but I think I have all the steering gears I need right now.

Cliff