DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?

I need to add some brake fluid to my Hawk. I do a lot of hot weather driving, sometimes in heavy traffic, would DOT 4 brake fluid be a better choice? (No power brakes.)[?]

If the system is vacant why not refill with silicone brake fluid,no more water absortion problems.I've been using it for 15yrs. with no problems

Comment

It's not empty, just low. I also plan on bleeding my brakes.

Comment

DOT 3 or DOT 4 will work fine, I use Valvoline synthetic which is DOT 3 & DOT 4 campatable. The DOT 3 & 4 classifacation has a higher boiling point than DOT 2. Now my question for you how long has ot been since you have done any brake work on your car? Eventhough new car manuals don't say a thing about changing/flushing brake fluid it should be done, SAME thing for our Studebakers. DO NOT MIX DOT 5 [FIVE] fluid with anything but DOT 5 PERIOD. To flush old fluid out, remove screw on lid from master cylinder, use a turkey baster to draw as much of the old fluid out as possible [don't let the wife catch you using a good one]. Then refill with fresh fluid , buy a quart of new fluid, with a helper begin bleeding at right rear the left rear, then right front then left front. This assumes that FIRST all bleeder screws are not clogged and will open with a turn of the wrench Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

.....and absolutely do not use that turkey baseter til Thanksgiving...

Comment

Over the past 44 yrs I have always just sucked out the fluid from my master and then re-filled.......I do this 2 times a year.........the resultant effect is that I pretty much always have clean brake fluid.

Comment

Over the past 44 yrs I have always just sucked out the fluid from my master and then re-filled.......I do this 2 times a year.........the resultant effect is that I pretty much always have clean brake fluid.

Comment

Lammie

Simply sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder will not work. The fluid absorbs water and over time not only turns to jellie but the water content rusts out the insides of your steel lines and wheelcylinders or calipers.

Pops brand x four wheel drive had stopping problems when he purchase it. the previous owner had never changed the brake fluid and it had jellified. I flushed the brakes but still was having pedal problem so I again flushed the braked but used denatured alcohol to brake down the jelly. I let the alcohol set for three days and then flushed the fluid and reprimed the brakes with DOT 4 and problem solved.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                61 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                63 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                45 Agricat
                67 Triumph T100
                66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment