• From the Archives #60 (Packard truck)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Richard Quinn
    I was always impressed with the money they spent on that Packard decal for the hood.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer:
    None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I was always impressed with the money they spent on that Packard decal for the hood.

JDP Maryland
      I always thought it looked very similar to the "Scotsman" hood decal used on the '58 Scotsmans (as far as style).

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Hey! Is that for real? Tell me more. Is it just a rebadged Transtar? What years did they do that? It has to be just 1957 and 1958, if even both years, doesn't it? Grille first used in 1957 by Studebaker, and no Packards after 1958?

Comment

Hi Richard

Are the production orders for those Argentina export trucks on file at the archive?

If so, what were their inclusive build dates and when was the last one built?

A decal was an inexpensive way to apply the Packard name, though one would think they might have simply used the individual letters they had on the '57 Clippers if enough were still available. The letters are the same style in this view.

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maynard

Hey! Is that for real? Tell me more. Is it just a rebadged Transtar? What years did they do that? It has to be just 1957 and 1958, if even both years, doesn't it? Grille first used in 1957 by Studebaker, and no Packards after 1958?
            They were produced to satisfy a big order for pickups from a company in Argentina that had the rights to import Packards, but not Studebakers.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

What year(s) was it done, what models were produced, have any come back to the U.S? I assume the production figures are included in the export totals for those years, but is that right?

Are any 4WD? Man, THAT'd be another jewel in the crown.

Comment

What year(s) was it done, what models were produced, have any come back to the U.S? I assume the production figures are included in the export totals for those years, but is that right?

Are any 4WD? Man, THAT'd be another jewel in the crown.
                IIRC, they were 3/4 ton 4x4 V8 powered trucks - identical to the '58 Transtar model but simply rebadged with a Packard decal up front and on the tailgate. I don't recall how many were made. I recall one being for sale in Argentina about 12 - 18 months ago.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
                http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

What year(s) was it done, what models were produced, have any come back to the U.S? I assume the production figures are included in the export totals for those years, but is that right? Are any 4WD? Man, THAT'd be another jewel in the crown.
                  It wasn't even three months ago that we talked about this.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37612&SearchTerms=packard,truck

A quick search for "Packard Truck" will help answer alot of your questions.
                  But to answer one of them~ the truck in the picture above is a 3/4 ton 4x4...
                  [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

How time slips away. I found the thread and it was 2007. Yep, the one in the pic is 4WD with optional winch. I can't think of a word big enough for it.

Comment

How time slips away. I found the thread and it was 2007.
                      The link I posted is from January of THIS YEAR. You must mean the thread Mark is talking about. As I said- we've talked about this picture a time or two before~ my search found about six threads!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment