Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy here, a nice 55 truck. What now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here, a nice 55 truck. What now?

I would like to start off by introducing myself, I am new here and I just picked up a 1955 E series truck. So it looks like I will be hanging around here for a good while as I don't know jack about Studebakers.
    I got it from a friend of my granddads, whos friend is the one that owned it since new, and started a frame off resto on it back in the 90's, and got pretty much done with it, just needs finishing the body. The old man died, and then my grandaddy's friend got it from his widow with the intentions to finish it, but never did. He didn't want to sell it to just anyone, but since he knew my grandad all his life he sold it to me for $2,000. I thought that was a pretty good deal for a complete, and rust-free truck.

It is a 55 E series truck. I found two little tags in the pile of parts, one says model E- C2, the other says E7-12. ??? I don't know. It is in pretty good shape, there is basically no rust. Only exception being that in some point in the past someone tack welded in flat sheetmetal in the bed to cover the original corrugated bed floor. But looking up from the bottom it has some small rust holes. The old man that started it did a good job with the metal, there looks to be no bondo on it. He also had already replaced all the brake stuff and rebuilt the engine. When I first saw it I was worried because all the trim and stuff was stripped. But then found it all piled in the inside. I have pretty much every last piece of the truck, except the windshield. It even came with original Studebaker parts manuals, service manuals, transmission repair manual, and 1956 repair manual. I am not 100% sure by reading the engine number (V 335,550) but it looks like it has the 1955 larger 259'' V8 which is surprising as I would have thought it would be a 224". I was able to turn it over, but I can't get any fire. It ran when parked in a shed about 8 years ago. I am also unsure whether it is converted over to 12v, the old man that had it said it was, but it all looks original and when I pulled the cap off the distributor, the points were so hot they took the skin off my finger I read that the Studes were originally 6v with a positive ground, so I am really unsure what to do at this point. I can't tell what the truck is set up for. I really don't want to hook up anything wrong and burn something up. I am not ready to start work on the body on it, I have a 73 convertible Blazer that I am frame-offing right now that I have to complete and get out of the way. But I would like to get it running well, so I can move it around and maybe run to town on it or what-not. Here are a few pics. Judging by the original color choice thing that was with the paperwork, it was originally "clover green". Not my favorite choice. I know basically nothing about Studebakers, so I am learning a good deal about them. The manuals are great, and full of tons of info. Now if I could only take those part #s out of my manuals and run up to the dealer and buy parts.

Do you guys think it is worth what I paid for it? I don't think it will need very much to get it in good shape.
    I am 25 years old, and before I bought this one, I have never even seen a Studebaker truck in person.
    Also, ANY info you guys have for me will help, and in the mean time I am going to do some searching around the forum.

Adam

Welcome aboard.

Yes, you've lucked into the best-looking, best equipped pickup truck Studebaker ever made. I'll give you $2000 for it today, sight unseen.

No, the '55 pickups came with 224", not 259"

Maybe, you can hang around here and over on the http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/ Studebaker Truck Forum and get all your questions answered. They are bog-simple to fix and restore.

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and the offer. But I don't want to sell it just yet. I was thinking, by what I read, that the engine would also be the 224". But going by the number on the block (V 335,550) according to the Engine specs list on the site it is a 259", or maybe I am not reading right. I am not sure. You definitely know more about this than I do. Thanks for the other forum website as well. I will check it out.

Comment

Good looking project. These are very popular trucks. The engine serial number does indicate a 1955 Commander 259, which was a 6 volt. You would have to check the starter or generator number to find out if it is 6 or 12 volt system.

Comment

The one thing you will find is a fifty-five year old truck can have anything and everything changed.

Yes, the serial number is from a '55 passenger car. Could be a 259", but we've all seen 259" blocks with 289" cranks and even 224" cranks. Only way to know is to look inside.

The V8 with overdrive is the best combination for daily driving.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Nice truck, Adam, and welcome to the forum. [8D]BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome,Adam.

Here's a good read on things to do now that you've got a Studebaker.

Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Where you at in Alabama? That's probably too nice
                a truck for a young gun. You might oughta turn it
                over to an old guy. And since I am in Alabama, I
                guess you might as well let me have it. Looks like
                a super nice truck, and a good price too. You can
                get a lot of help from some of these guys. Look
                forward to seeing your progress. Keep us posted.
                WELCOME

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

Glad to have you join us. The '55 pickups are indeed good ones. The price you paid for yours is certainly not out of line. A great find. Folks here are more than helpful. There is a lot of help available here all you just have to ask. Enjoy that truck.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Adam,

Welcome to the forum. As someone else suggested, you can get lots of info and questions answered on your '55 truck on Studebaker Truck Talk, and some of the truck guys never show up here.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                    53 Starliner Hardtop
                    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Welcome Adam. Yes great loooking project truck! Throw the Blazer away and get at this project.[}] The engine does not look rebuilt to me, or at least not in this millenium. Could be that they meant the motor was "replaced" not "rebuilt" that would explain the 259. Good to see young guys excited about Studebakers as there is a generation gap here. You have probably never ridden in a Studebaker either. They are head turners and definitely conversation pieces.
                      Good Luck and
                      Good Roads
                      Brian

Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Flashback, I am down in Enterprise. But I have always appreciated the old iron. My first car in highschool was a 67 Chevelle Malibu, which I still have, all original. But I haven't had much time to work on the truck yet. I want to at least get it running. I was finally able to get fire at the plugs. But all I can get it to do is spit and sputter, kinda acts like it wants to start, but nothing yet. Of course there is no gas in the tank, so I am trying to at least get it to run for a second by pouring gas in the carb, might be flooding it out, not sure. I am still unsure of the firing order situation. The old guy that had it, had pulled the plug wires off years ago and couldn't figure how to straighten them out. (he is not very auto savvy) But I started at the #1 cylinder and put the plugs wires on going by the firing order clockwise if you are looking down at the cap. Getting a little frustrated, on the old chevys I've worked on, the first thing I do is yank the points ignition, and put on a cheap HEI ignition, so I never have to fool with it again. My daddy is going to come by tomorrow and maybe we can at least get this thing to run for a second. Then I will worry about cleaning out the fuel system, and get it to deliver its on fuel.

And woody, I think the engine has been went thru, I have found a few old moldy reciepts to a machine shop, and one that had vavles, seals and several other items for a Studebaker motor. I could barely read it, but it definitely looks like he didn't take time to paint anything under the hood. Also I am wondering how good the oil pressure is, don't want to cause any unnecessary wear, I kinda want to pull the valve cover and see if oil is circulating as i am turning it over. But then I will probably destroy the gasket, and I can't buy another at the local parts house.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the dates on the motor receipts were 1993, and 1994, so it has been about 17 years.

Comment

Studebaker vendors have your cover seals in neoprene for $18.50.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just a little update. I had so many irons in the fire this time at home I hardly had any time to fool with the truck. Between working on my Blazer, and watching my 8 month old little girl while the wife is at work, so she doesn't have to go to day care. That in itself is a full time job.

But I was able to get the truck to run. The firing order was indeed screwed up, and the points and all that needed a good cleaning, but what was really getting my was that the rotor button looked good, but it wasn't. So I ordered a $10 one online and it took a few days to get it. As soon as I put it on, poured some gas in the carb, Bam! she fired right up and purred til she ran out of gas. The gas tank was empty and wasn't to bad looking on the inside, so I poured in some gas, installed an inline filter, and she wouldn't do anything. Quick diagnosis found that the rubber diaprahm in the fuel pump was shot. So I ordered that baby from O'riellys and it didn't come in until the day I had to come to work. So that is as far as I have gotten.

One other thing is that the truck is mostly totally rust free. EXCEPT, the bed floor, which has small rust holes in it all over. Sometime or another someone has welded a big flat piece of sheet metal over the trucks original bed floor. I am not real sure what I am going to do here, they cut off the original floor about 4 inches from the back of the floor near the tail gate. I was thinking just cut all of the floor out, and maybe just weld in a bed floor from something else. But I don't know how well that would work with the bed supports. Hummm. It could be alot of work.

Comment

Working...
                              X