master cylinder adivce needed 4 wheel disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• master cylinder adivce needed 4 wheel disc

Hello all, I had the Lark out for a minute today. Have the turner kit all the way around. Am currently using a 78 Trans am master cyl...mushy pedal and limited braking to say the most. Now..it could be a junk m/c..But I was hoping someone had an idea of an ideal fit. I have a 64 lark booster in the car as well...anybody have a tried and true master cylinder fo an app like this? Thanks!

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Is the Trans Am master a disc/disc unit?

Did you adjust the rear brakes? Go to http://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/docu...rearadjust.pdf The whole Master Power Brake Website is a wealth of info.

Are you using a proportioning valve or metering valve? I couldn't get proper pressure to the rear when using one but the car stops fine without one. Avanti vs Lark may have different results because of weight and weight distribution, though.

I have a 2 hole master adapted to a 4 bolt booster. I will be changing to an Avanti II 2 bolt booster so I can eliminate the adapter but with the pushrod adjusted accordngly everything works as it should and a few 90 MPH passes at the dragstrip gave me a chance to check the brakes and there was no pull or lockup without the prop valve.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Thanks for the info! I am using a proportioning valve. It seems that the Trans am m/c was not any good or acted like it anyhow. The pedal kept going to the floor slowly even after bleeding and all. I got an m/c for a disc/disc Corvette..1977-82. I think I'm ok now..we'll know as I bleed it..Thanks!

Comment

I'm using a Wilwood Master Cylinder on my 4 wheel brakes.
        It's an aluminum, seperate reservor, twin piston.
        Works excellent without a power booster on my 54 Conestoga.

You have to match the MC piston size to the volume, or piston size of the calipers you are using, otherwise, no matter what booster, how many times you bleed the system, you'll not have a good brake feel.

Sorry, the Wilwood site isn't opening right now so I can't get you the number. Will try later.

Mike

Comment

Let me ask a dumb question:

Did you bench bleed the M/C before you installed it? If not you may never get the system properly bled.

Bob

Comment

Bob, yes bench bled. Got a good 77-82 Vette one now sweems allot better, but my brake booster is not working..leaking. Anybody know of a direct crosover for a 64 model year with the canti lever?

Comment

Mike, if you do find the number in queston, I would like to know when you have a chance. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X