Timing with pertronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing with pertronix

I am planning on installing my Pertronix Electronic Ignition on my 1963 R2 Avanti. Is there anything differently that I need t do in setting the timing? From what I am reading it should be set to 6 Degrees BTDC. Also How will I be able to tell if my timing is set correctly? May be stupid question but I figure I would ask.

Thanks
    Rob

The timing setting doesn't change. Also, IIRC, the R2 timing spec is 24 degrees @ 1600, vacuum disconnected.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

[Edit] I bow to greater knowledge. My experience is low dollar non-Avanti experience. I believe, however, that the details below will work for all other Studebakers.

You will need a timing light with an adjustment dial. Disconnect the vacuum line from the carb to the distributor and plug it at the carb end. Put the clamp on the No. 1 spark plug and start the engine. have it idling at low idle. use the timing light, which should be flashing, to illuminate the pointer on the timing cover and the mark on the harmonic balancer. twist the dial on the timing light until the pointer and the mark coincide. Read the timing on the dial. Set the dial at 6 degrees advanced, and adjust the distributor, (turn it clockwise and counter clockwise) until the pointer is pointing at the mark on the balancer.

There are other checks you can do, but this is as far as I've gotten.

It might help (if you can get at it) to clean the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and paint it white. Ditto the pointer.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

And put your points, condenser and wire in the glove box.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

quote:You will need a timing light with an adjustment dial.
          Yes, agree a dial-back timing light is nice to have.
          No, it is not absolutely necessary for setting the ignition timing on an R2.
          No, the ignition timing for the R2 should not be set at idle.
          Maybe, reading the Avanti Shop Manual Electrical Section Page 13 will make clear just how simple it is to get to 24 degrees @ 1600 RPMs.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X