What was there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was there?

Just below the bottom of the trunk lid on my 50 Champion is a piece of metal that extends all the way across the back of the car and extends under the top edge of the bumper. On the edge that extends under the edge of the bumper are staple holes. What was stapled here and what was its purpose? Thank you to anyone who can help me figure this out. I am ready to put the bumper on and don't want to do so till I know if there is something I need to add first.

Jimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

Do you have a pic[?]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    1960s Prototype cart
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Jim, there was a piece of rubber stapled there as a dust or dirt seal. I filled the staple holes on mine and put it on. It really isn't a necessary piece and is not visibly missing unless you lay down and look up under the bumper and know what you are looking at. I believe it also had at least one round hole in it for a rubber bumper.
      Tom Mills

Comment

Jim, there was a piece of rubber stapled there as a dust or dirt seal. I filled the staple holes on mine and put it on. It really isn't a necessary piece(the rubber) and is not visibly missing unless you lay down and look up under the bumper and know what you are looking at. I believe it also had at least one round hole in it for a rubber bumper.
        Tom Mills

Comment

Is this the part? I left the staple holes but added no rubber. Even I don't notice it.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just left the staples also. Like, it's not a show car.............

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Hope this helps. I just painted over mine and left it in place. I think they are right, it's just a dust shield.

Dick
              Mountain Home, AR

Dick
              Mountain Home, AR
              http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. It does not seem to be a very necessary item. Really appreciate this forum.
                quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

Just below the bottom of the trunk lid on my 50 Champion is a piece of metal that extends all the way across the back of the car and extends under the top edge of the bumper. On the edge that extends under the edge of the bumper are staple holes. What was stapled here and what was its purpose? Thank you to anyone who can help me figure this out. I am ready to put the bumper on and don't want to do so till I know if there is something I need to add first.

Jimmie
                Orange County, Indiana
                Jimmie
                Orange County, Indiana
                sigpicJimmie
                Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Jimmie,

Assuming the 50 is similar to my 51, there were some fiber-reinforced rubber strips stapled to the top 'apron' at each end to keep the bumper from rubbing on it as the bumper flexed. I just pulled mine apart and was surprised to find these rubber strips hidden under the top edge of the bumper. The parts are out under my back deck in the dark so I will check the sizes tomorrow and let you know in case you want to duplicate them.

Cheers,

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada
                  \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

When I opened Jimmie's original post there were no replies so I posted my reply. When I looked back there were all these other replies posted hours before. Now I feel kind of stupid for bothering to reply when the question had been answered several times already.

This is a glitch in the forum that has has happened to me before. Has anyone else had this experience?

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada
                    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

Jim,
                      You can always delete your reply anytime you want. Click on the trash can icon at the top of your post and type in your password.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                      1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann

When I opened Jimmie's original post there were no replies so I posted my reply. When I looked back there were all these other replies posted hours before. Now I feel kind of stupid for bothering to reply when the question had been answered several times already.

Why feel that way? It was a great offer of help. I have replaced a lot of parts on my car that aren't "necessary" and can't be seen to keep it original and/or working the way it was meant to function from the factory. If it's supposed to be there, it usually had a reason and can't hurt to have a new, correct part back on the car.
                        I applaud the effort to find out the answer, Jimmie. It will help someone else down the road. Even better if you add the year car or part # search to your title. [^]

Comment

Jimmie,

See pic below of an NOS rear valance. The strip of mesh reinforced rubber there measure 1-1/2" x 15". It was placed 5-1/2 inches from the end of the metal valance. It served to buffer any rubbing noise that might be transmitted by bumper movement. The industrial type staples can be recreated by using a similar gauge wire, bent and hand formed to the shape of the original staples.

Best regards.

Henry Votel,
                          Forest Lake, MN
                          Moderator: Editors & Publishers Forum
                          Henry Votel,
                          Forest Lake, MN
                          Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Working...
                          X