Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-Oh; the Mustangers are closing in on us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-Oh; the Mustangers are closing in on us...

'Just read an article in U.S.A. Today about up-coming 2011 specialty new car models. Included was a specially-equipped 2011 Mustang that was going to be first marketed to the Mustang Club, which they reported having "over 11,000 members."

This is not good. As many of you know, the Studebaker Drivers Club, at approximately 12,600 members (at times approaching 13,000), has been the largest single-marque car club in the world for many years.

However, they are still making Mustangs [}] and I doubt their collective membership is aging as fast as is SDC's, so this is cause for concern.

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

We are trying, Bob - Midway Chapter has added new members nearly every month for quite some time.

Chris Pile
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The new member list in Turning Wheels looks pretty encouraging every month. It's amazing how many new members this club attracts.

I think for a car company that's been out of production for nearly 45 years to still have a club following greater than, arguably one of the most popular cars ever made, we should still feel pretty good![8D]

Skinny
      Watertown, SD
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

dont worry, mustang guys cant stand one another for very long so any club has a short shelf life.

Studebakers it seems have the shelf life of a Twinkie so again, nuttin to worry about.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:dont worry, mustang guys cant stand one another for very long so any club has a short shelf life.

Studebakers it seems have the shelf life of a Twinkie so again, nuttin to worry about.
          Right on both counts!

Chris Pile
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Not much more we can do anyway. Think about it- the majority of Studebakers are stodgy old-people cars, while most every Mustang has tons of people who think it's cool (and rightly so). I have a friend here who has had IMO the least desirable style, 1978, since he was 18 (over 20 years). His has the Cobra package with 302 4spd. He restored it from a bare shell years ago when he really had to scrape to afford what it needed, but it was- and is- his dream car. Would not consider any other car on the planet. His wife and kids know to respect that car or ELSE! Imagine how much of that is out there with all the millions of Mustangs, most all more popular than the above car[:0]

All through the 80s and 90s people wanted and enjoyed not only existing Mustangs but even the new offerings. Then just when one thought they were getting stale BAM! Along comes the Shinoda-inspired redesign of 03- WOW![] Even I want one of those; mine is currently in the hands of a caring owner who is taking that huge depreciation hit for me, and I'll own it in a few years[^]

There's no doubt there will always be millions more Mustang fans than Stude fans, just based on sheer numbers of cars. Add to that the fact that every one of their cars was built with the sporty-car person in mind, and that they're still being made, and that anything one would ever want to alter a Mustang in any way imaginable is readily available, and any Mustand club should have a few hundred thousand members; so on percentage they can't hold a candle to the SDC![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

One way we can keep growing is to quit dying and live forever.[8D][8D][8D] That way when we get new members we will be larger and larger[}]
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Ahh, but remember that mustangs pull Studebaker wagons. We shall prevail!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I take comfort in knowing that the "Mustangers" will be very hard pressed to claim...
                  [img][/img]

Anybody can purchase something "ordinary" and join a club.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 55K is going to raise some interest. Drive 'em and show 'em and answer the questions. Studes generate more "buzz" than Mustangs. It's a good business decision to drive a Stude (or at least that's what I'll tell the taxman)
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Dang! Where could I get one of those hats?

Chris Pile

Comment

Good comment on the Twinkie shelf life, Jay!

And congrats to all signing folks up. The new members being listed every month in Turning Wheels is a fine idea; 'glad we are doing it.

(Bams: Are you going to finish that last sentence? Baited breaths await![:I]) [8D]BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mustangs thats a Ford??????

Comment

HEY!! I drive a Studebaker and my wife drives a 65 Mustang.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                              Included was a specially-equipped 2011 Mustang that was going to be first marketed to the Mustang Club...

Maybe Studebaker will make a special edition for us....

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X