Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker memorabilia #1 (Foundry paperweight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker memorabilia #1 (Foundry paperweight)

This cast iron paperweight is 3 3/4" in diameter one inch thick, it weighs 1 3/4 lbs. The date at the top is August 27, 1924 and it represents the first pour of the new foundry on that date. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has one of these. The Studebaker National Museum has one on display and I believe Bruce Slifer in PA and Les Miller in Indiana also has one. A few reproductions were done many years ago.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn

Richard Didn't they make paper weight like V8 engine block in 1951? Was it something the company put out. I have the weight like you show but mine is about 11" dia.and made of brass Scott

Comment

!!![:0][]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
      Parts of the 1952 Model N
      1960s Prototype cart
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Richard: The casting you show 'seems' to be a brass casting by the color??? Also, the inside edge, around the bust of JM, looks slightly rounded. The lettering also appears 'rounded' at the edges and 'worn' in spots. My casting is crisper (if that's the word) and has the 'cast' appearance. Not sure how to post a pic of mine. I also have the miniature cast engine block that Scott mentions. It is just a block casting, no parts. It is 2-3/4"L x 2-1/4" W x 1-3/16"H and weighs 15.2 ozs.

toyman

PS: My foundry weight is 3-3/4" W at the top and 3-7/8" W at the bottom (a tapered outside edge) - it has a 1/2" deep recession on the bottom with a 5/16" lip.

Comment

After I did my foundry tour, a friend of mine sent me a photo of one of these things. I have onle ever seen a few of them in person, the SNM has three or four. Very intersting piece of factory history. It's stuff like this that I typically like most, parts of the buildings or stuff used in the buildings and models/momentos. When I was at the foundry, I cut an origional light off the cieling and am working on restoring it for somewhere in the house![][8D]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
          Parts of the 1952 Model N
          1960s Prototype cart
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

Richard: The casting you show 'seems' to be a brass casting by the color??? Also, the inside edge, around the bust of JM, looks slightly rounded. The lettering also appears 'rounded' at the edges and 'worn' in spots. My casting is crisper (if that's the word) and has the 'cast' appearance. Not sure how to post a pic of mine. I also have the miniature cast engine block that Scott mentions. It is just a block casting, no parts. It is 2-3/4"L x 2-1/4" W x 1-3/16"H and weighs 15.2 ozs.

toyman

PS: My foundry weight is 3-3/4" W at the top and 3-7/8" W at the bottom (a tapered outside edge) - it has a 1/2" deep recession on the bottom with a 5/16" lip.
            Definitely not brass, as I indicated in the original post it is cast iron. Yes, my paper weight is the same dimensions as the one you mention. As for the wear I cannot explain it since I know none of its history prior to purchasing it.

Above a photo of the miniature V-8 block that has been mentioned on this thread. It was used as a paper weight and pencil holder. As I understand it was cast in the foundry in c1950-51 concurrent with the introduction of Studebaker's first V8. It was never offered to dealers or the public but I am told many corporate executives had them on their desks.

The second image shows a cast crankshaft and the block with a quarter for size reference. It came from a source in South Bend but I have no information on it and it may not have any Studebaker connection.

Richard Quinn
            Richard Quinn

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 47stude

Richard Didn't they make paper weight like V8 engine block in 1951? Was it something the company put out. I have the weight like you show but mine is about 11" dia.and made of brass Scott

Scott,
              I have the casting like yours which is actually 10" in diameter with two brackets on the back. On the front is the name KILENY, perhaps the creator of the casting. I recall Dick advising me he had one of these also.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
              MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Jim (Quigley down under); You fellas are talking about two different things. The 10-11" brass plaque of J. M. Studebaker by Kilenyi (above) is not connected in any way with the foundry paperweight. The only connection is that it shows a bust of J.M. The Kilenyi relief was also available in a 18" plaster of paris version. Both are quite rare.

Richard Quinn
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Dick,
                  Thanks for posting the image of the 10" plaque which is the same as mine. It would be interesting to know in any other Forum members know of this J M Studebaker image.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                  MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                  X