Interesting "American Pickers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting "American Pickers"

I just saw part of a TV show called "American Pickers." Two guys go around buying junk and reselling it for a profit. Well, they were in Alabama and this guy had a lot of Studebakers! Couple Larks, and what looked like a '54 truck. It even showed for a split second, one of the guys found just the bullet nose for a '50 Champion, good condition. I can't believe he didn't make the guy an offer for it! I have seen those things sell for $150+ in the past in good condition. They got some Italian scooter instead.[V] Still a neat program! Just my thoughts for the night.[]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    1960s Prototype cart
    Chris Dresbach

Sorry Chris I didn't see your post when I posted mine. I think we're only a few minutes apart. I'll try to edit mine out.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That show is on every Sunday and Monday night. Mike and Frank are based in Iowa but drive all over the US in their Mercedes van looking for good deals on old "junk" that they resell. Frank bought an old 39 or 40 Plymouth recently for $5500 but soon found out he paid too much for it. My wife and I watch it every week....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Met them at swapmeets before they were "famous"
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I just saw that at 6PM Pacific time on History HD...with the HD channel, I think we get the East coast feed.

Aside from the truck and Lark VIII, there was a wide shot showing a 56-on Hawk.

I knew you guys would be excited.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

They have run across alot of Studes...On the show tonight there was also a red Champ in the background with ladder rack and the step side fenders...or so it appeared to me but I am no expert. The guy said that his wife told him if he dragged home one more Studebaker,she was going to divorce him...Mike said "So you switched to VWs?" (he had a bunch also)that was funny and I like watching to see the stuff they find but find they tend towards obnoxious....

Not suprised about the spinner,they have areas of expetise but seems limited and they dont always do much on what they buy. How much is done for "reality" you dont know but the way they go about buying stuff doesnt seem real bright at times...

The episode where Frank buys the Plymouth,there was also a bulletnose in the basement along with the other cars. The junkyard they vist at first and then have the guy come tow the Ply has a junk painted green and yellow bulletnose out front...

On another episode where they buy a juke box there was a quick shot of a rusty bulletnose as they drove in...I think TV guys like them because they standout.

They also ran across a Metropolitan that had been high and dry in shed since like 1968,husband bought it for the wife and she never learned to drive...

I do dig on Danielle,just what I need to dress up my Stude...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Met them at swapmeets before they were "famous"
              I've got a video camera Bob, you wanna get famous? I'll post videos of you on the Studebaker club website.

Wild Red Hawks admiring their reflections.
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of it 1s staged for TV, but I love the show anyway. I do get a kick out of how they show profit, you've got to pay attention: Sometimes they do sell, but mostly they say

<center>picked for: $100
                valued at: [u]$200</u>
                Profit: $100</center>

The key is "valued at", not "sold for"[B)] Everybody knows value is just a guess until the money hits the table, so saying "profit" is inaccurate...

I wonder how many guys see this show and decide they're gonna quit their job and do the same thing[:0]

"Hey honey, how much cash advance is on that emergency credit card??" [xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ISpy

They have run across alot of Studes
                  They do. Seems like hoarders like Studes in particular. I'd like to see them as they come across them, but they never seem to have any interest in anything Stude[|)]

I like the bright side though: They won't cause a rush on the cars I like to be able to afford

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

It amazes me the people that have TONS of junk and cool stuff, but don't want to part with any of it. Not sure I understand that concept. Someday they're going to die, and probably 90% will go to the landfill.

Mark Anderson
                    Member SDC and FMCA
                    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

No thanks,Brent.I'd rather remain infamous than famous.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

At one point the guy said his wife told him if he brought one more Studebaker home she wanted a divorce. Sound familiar?

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I love this show.I do agree about the "valued at" "sold for" thing.I would like to know how much those guys are really knocking back and if they really buy some of that stuff for the prices they say they do?I sell tons of old signage and tins and vintage stuff and none of mine brings anywhere near the prices they are paying for theirs.

Comment

Those guys should have realized the Metropolitan was badged as a Hudson. Same car and I don't know if it's worth alot more but rarer with the Hudson nameplates and I would have went for it.

Ken

Comment

I watch the show, and they seam to be pretty generous with their money. when they gave $5500 for the 40 plymouth i cringed, knowing they will have to hold that for a loooong time just to break even. Monday night he gave $1000 for a bunch of old jugs hoping he would find one worth something. I assume they have a resale shop somewhere.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X