Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace the bottem plate and maby chance my interi

Hello,

They are now bizzy to replace the bottom plate after this the car hopefully will get his badge so its alouwed to drive on the road. After this i am thinking about chance the interior for real leather. i dont konw whits colour is nice, the car is out of cream-colored with a brown roof. The interior is black carpet and red chairs and benches. iff someone have anny sugestion for a nice colour combination pleace do i dont know how to put pictures from my car to the topic maby later i will. i can send u pictures of my car mail.

thanks!

quote:Originally posted by gt hawk s63

Hello,

They are now bizzy to replace the bottom plate after this the car hopefully will get his badge so its alouwed to drive on the road. After this i am thinking about chance the interior for real leather. i dont konw whits colour is nice, the car is out of cream-colored with a brown roof. The interior is black carpet and red chairs and benches. iff someone have anny sugestion for a nice colour combination pleace do i dont know how to put pictures from my car to the topic maby later i will. i can send u pictures of my car mail.

thanks!
    Leather is nice, but was never a option on a GT Hawk and does not look very different although it costs a lot more. ($1100 leather, $450 Vinyl from me) I'd chose a darker color of tan, red or black, but not white.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer:
    None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

thank you jdp, is it better to replace it for vinyl? its original i konw. But i think it will be better for the long term. But do you konw a good store wehere i can buy vinyl or leather for my car?

Comment

GT Hawk

Welcome to the forum, Just for your information JDP sells what you ask but will not promote himself. So let me do it. www.stude.com or click on his member name to contact him directly through the email.

By the way, I continue to appreciate how many of our foreign members can communicate very well in English. Well! maybe the Aussie's have a problem

Good luck.

Bob

Comment

Welcome Han
          Tell us more about your project as how you you come about owning it. Is it a right hand drive? Color? and so on.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Actually, vinyl is a much better and longer lasting option for car upholstry. Leather requires way too much maintenance to keep it supple and durable.

John, I believe some of the Hawks exported to the Netherlands' distributors were customized with various options and deletes peculiar to their receipiant. There was an article in TW a few years back about export cars to Europe and one of the dealers was in the Netherlands. If I recall right (good luck!), the option of a leather interior was one of the changes done at that end.

Han, take my advice; don't put leather in your car. It will be much more enjoyable for you to go with the standard vinyl upholstry. From what I've seen, John does a great job for the money and can be relied upon to produce precisely what was correct for your car.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Tan or dark tan seats would look good with the brown roof, I think. If not that color, I personally would go for red. But that's just me.

Hope you learn how to do the picture thing soon. We would love to see pictures of your car.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I much prefer good quality leather for the look (especially when it's broken in some), feel (same reason) and smell. Personally I'm planning to try out JDP's leather myself.

John, how have those leather covers been working out? Have you sold many sets?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I'm in the leather camp. I've been extremely happy with how they feel and look..and yes, smell. I reupholstered all my interior panels and seats from hides I bought from North Carolina. Much less expensive that way.

It doesn't need any more work to protect the leather than it does for vinyl in my opinion. Most people don't protect either as often as they should (including me) but as evidenced by many of the used Studebaker interiors on this Forum and eBay, most of them were vinyl...and most are completely shot. Not all, but most. Especially the front seats. So, I'm not sure about the durability claims. If properly taken care of, kept in a garage out of the hot sun, they both should be fine for many years to come. You're not exactly near the equator!

A GT Hawk in leather would be a very nice and unique interior. Not many people have actually had leather seats in their Studebakers. Vinyl is much less expensive, usually correct except for exports like yours and much easier for a final fit. Tough decision. You'll be happy with either, I'm sure. Both will probably not need to be replaced for decades.

Don't go white for your seats with a cream colored car. That would be seriously high maintenance in any material. Only someone with a Kart Hauler would go with white seats and carpets.

By the way, your English is much better than my Dutch! Good luck.[8D]

[img][/img]

Comment

Dave's 60 Lark interior is beautiful in leather, I particularly like the way he stitched the black leather with the heavy white thread. Dave told me that it took him a while to do the interior and that he borrowed a industrial machine and did the project himself. I wish I had the talent and patience to do that type of work.

Beautiful job Dave!

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                    Oakville, Ontario.
                    Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I much prefer good quality leather for the look (especially when it's broken in some), feel (same reason) and smell. Personally I'm planning to try out JDP's leather myself.

John, how have those leather covers been working out? Have you sold many sets?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I've sold maybe 6 sets.

JDP Maryland
                      Disclaimer:
                      None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Han - I'm still trying to figure what a "bottom plate" is from your original post. Can you be more descriptive? Thanks.

Comment

hello all thanks for the welcome to the Studebaker club! and thanks for all comments! so its better to choice for vinyl instead of leather its what you all tell me.pictures from my car, I wil ad later. I've figured out how to do this. I'll will start another topic here with the restoration of the bottom plate ( its the metal plate under the car ). I keep you posted. If anyone has good ideas wher to find good vinyl or leather for a good price i like to hear this from you. here in holland its hard to find parts for the car so anny help is welkom.

thank you all!

Comment

Han
                            Would the bottom plate be the floor or something on the frame?

Comment

jes that richt its the floor the are replace new richt now on th richt and left in the back....maby also on the front but thats not sure richt now. we have to see when we take all off...all of this is nessesary to get dutch licence plate so that finaly i can drive on the road in holland. The car came to holland sinds 1978..and wass standing in the garage ever sinds...so al lot of thinks to do to make it good.

Comment

Working...
                              X