4speed conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4speed conversion

looking for information on converting my 53 coupe with 259 3speed over drive from a 58 stud to four speed. any information and advice will be appreciated. thanks michael welch

Engine is a bolt in, but you'll have drive shaft issues. The later Hawk one piece shaft will hit the tunnel on occasion. You'll need some unique to 4 speed clutch linkage too.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
      The later Hawk one piece shaft will hit the tunnel on occasion.
      I don't know if this helps any since I have a Chevy V8 in my '54, but I'm running a T10 WITH the stock 2 piece drive shaft. I had to shorten the front shaft a tad. The 4 speed yoke fit the existing yoke on the front shaft. No interference probs.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't know if a 53 is much different, but I put a 61 T-10 in my 56 Hawk. Assuming you have a Studebaker bellhousing and T-10 transmission there are a few other things you will have to do. You have to get a 4 speed transmission mount from one of the vendors. I had to put a 1/4" steel spacer between the mount and the crossmember to get everything to line up. The clutch linkage will work if you make a bracket to mount the end of the clutch shaft to the transmission. I used the old 3 speed bracket and bolted it to a flat plate that I cut to fit on the side of the transmission. I will get some pictures later if you would like me to. If you can get the drive shaft from a 4 speed hawk it should be a bolt in. The crossmember that the two piece shaft attaches to will have to be removed. On mine I had to widen the tunnel and raise the car in the rear to get the driveshaft to clear. I think thats about it. I would recommend using a Hurst shifter instead of the factory linkage.
        David

Comment

Working...
        X