PDA

View Full Version : Clock installation on Champ T-cab

blondie
03-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I have a clock which I believe fits a Champ T-Cab and also 59-60 Larks. I now realize I need a chrome bezel (nos or used) to make the installation. The bezel fits on the outside of the speaker grille on the dash front and attached to the clock which mounts behind the speaker dash grille. Also I am told I need some special brakets for the speaker since it mounts behind the clock. Does anyone out there have a source for this bezel. If some one has made this installation is it possible to send me pics. Even sending me a pic of the bezel would be helpful so I know what I am searching for. Are there bezels from some other era that would fit.

53 Commander
03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Try Loga Enterprises, www.studebakervendors.com/loga/index.htm. I believe they had these kits at one time.

Steve

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/seshore/1962%20Champ%207E7/1962%20Champ%207E7/Champ1.jpg

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
55 Commander Conestoga
60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
62 Champ 7E7, A/T
49 2R15 Stakebed

barnlark
03-25-2010, 11:29 PM
The bezels look like these:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0101_1.jpg
NOS 1959 clock w/bezel
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1278.jpg

Those bezels are awfully hard to find. They go as much as $40-$50 when I have seen them lately. I have a bezel in my car, so when I put my new 1960 clock in, I will have an extra bezel, but if I sell my now used clock, it won't have a bezel for the new owner. That's the problem with separating them.

There are many of those small clock delete plates out there and those can be carefully cut out to make a nice bezel. They are thin metal, so I mean careful, but they are polished on the outside ring just like the real bezels.

There isn't a real bracket, that I know of, for the speaker, if it's the same as my Lark. There are four hard to find flat head long bolts that attach to the back of the grill housing. Those then go through an oblong piece of thick cardboard (Loga Ent.) separating the speaker from the clock. The speaker has it's own plate around it big enough to cover the cardboard.
Those old speakers can be found with that plate, but they don't amount to much more than a flat piece of tin and the speaker bolts to that. You can make that yourself with a thin, flat piece of aluminum and a metal bladed jig saw. Before I found the correct bolts with the thin, built in, rectangular metal washer, I ground a regular phillips head bolt flat enough to get in the slots and that worked. I'd epoxy the bolts in and wait overnight. They fall out while you are balancing the whole set up and swearing happens. Well, so I've heard. ;) Hope that helps.

blondie
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the pics and suggestions. This has been extremely helpful.I do have my old clock delete so if all else fails I will try that suggestion. I known Ernie Loga personally so will see if he has any old bezels. Hey I would like to see the rest of your Lark, e-mail me a jeaned@lakedalelink.net Thanks again, I knew someone out there had to have the answer.
Ed

blondie
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
53 Commander, thanks much I will contact Ernie, he lives just over in Wisconsin and I know him well.
Ed

barnlark
03-26-2010, 10:40 PM
If you are forced to go the radio delete route, just drill a large hole in the middle and work your way out with wire cutters or small tin snips similar to cutting a pie. Peal back and trim.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18719

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg

Lenny R2
03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Ed i just emaled you the the photos of the clock brackets&bezel the bezel i have
i bought from Barnlark.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

Skinnys Garage
03-27-2010, 12:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by blondie

Are there bezels from some other era that would fit?

I used the bezel and clock from my '62 Cruiser in my '59. The '61 and '62's mount in the dash between the gauges, but I used that bezel and bracket to mount mine in the speaker housing. Don't know if this will help you or not, but it worked for me.[8D]

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/clock.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/f893982a.jpg
Skinny
Watertown, SD

barnlark
03-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Scott, you need my '59 clock in there. The car will run better. ;)

blondie
03-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey barnlark, you don't have a spare bezel or the round bracket with tabs that I need do you. What about the bezel from the 62, will that fit my 59 clock? Are they easier to find. What does the bezel attach to. The clock delete looks flimsy, have you seen any that were cut out and looked respectable? I am not sure I am that dexterous.
Blondie

blondie
03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Clock faces. I see some faces are silver or aluminum in color and others are a brown/ burgundy. What is the correct color for the Champs. All my dash guages are silver/aluminum in color, yet the clock I bought is more of a brown/burgundy like Barnlark.
Blondie

Skinnys Garage
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by blondie

What about the bezel from the 62, will that fit my 59 clock? Are they easier to find. What does the bezel attach to?
My '62 bezel has three tabs like the delete plate. The round '62 mounting bracket has three notches that the tabs wrap around. I just lined up the three notches in the speaker grille with the mounting plate and bent the bezel tabs around both to hold everything in place. Then I just lined up the clocks two mounting bolt tabs to hold the clock to the bracket. I believe all the clocks have the mounting tabs in the same place, but I'm not sure what the correct bracket looks like for speaker grille mounting. Mine is a "made do with what I had" type of deal and worked fine for me. If you want factory correct, you may or may not need a different bracket.

Dave, that '59 clock would be nice, but I like the way the Cruiser clock matches my gauges.........and didn't cost me anything!;)[8D]

barnlark
03-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by blondie

Clock faces. I see some faces are silver or aluminum in color and others are a brown/ burgundy. What is the correct color for the Champs. All my dash guages are silver/aluminum in color, yet the clock I bought is more of a brown/burgundy like Barnlark.

Hey barnlark, you don't have a spare bezel or the round bracket with tabs that I need do you. What about the bezel from the 62, will that fit my 59 clock? Are they easier to find. What does the bezel attach to. The clock delete looks flimsy, have you seen any that were cut out and looked respectable? I am not sure I am that dexterous.

If yours is the copper colored clock, as seen in my picture, you have an early 1960 clock made during a late 1959 batch. There should be a faint date code on the back in black ink. I have a nos 1960 clock with the correct gold finish in there now. IIRC, most Champ trucks had the DeLuxe, silver only center, just like my nos 1959 clock picture above.
The bezels are quite thin and flimsy, just like the delete bezel as Scott explained. They don't take any abuse and work just fine in the dash once installed. Three little tabs hold it in and the clock just pokes through it and is attached to the grill behind it with two hidden bolts aimed back toward the cowl. The "round bracket with tabs" is the bezel. If you drill a large hole in the middle of your delete bezel carefully and then slowly cut back the center to the round edge, you can trim it and the clock hides that area when it sticks through the dash. When you do it, you will say, "ohhhhh." It's really not that hard if you are a higher primate of sound mind with opposable thumbs. [:o)]

Sorry, every bezel that I have has a clock to go with it. I rather not separate them.
Have you tested this clock on a 12V battery to make sure it works and keeps the correct time? That should be the first step. They're tricky and need the proper oil and an amount of it to last as it ticks away in there. If your clock is good, you can always paint your clock's center a silver/aluminum to match your Champ gauges. Work around the dials, they're brittle and try not to peal the numbers off. Use a weak tape for masking. Good luck.

blondie
03-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Barnlark, you certainly are the expert. Excellent info. My clock tests good and the can is stamped 59 so it must be an early build. A friend in WI has a parts car and is sending me the radio speaker grille with an old clock bezel and all mounting parts. I am allowed to take what I need and return the rest. Studebaker people are just great. Thanks again for providing me with all the excellent details.

barnlark
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
That's terrific!!!! Good find, sorry I couldn't help with the parts. I didn't know that you needed the entire grill housing. I have a few of those. Jon Myer also has a shelf with those same parts available to some degree. Glad you found what you need. Those bolts with the rectangular washers to hold the speakers behind the housing are the toughest to find. Post pics when you're done. No expert, btw, just wasted too much time collecting '59-'60 clocks and their parts!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg

Skinnys Garage
03-28-2010, 01:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Three little tabs hold it in and the clock just pokes through it and is attached to the grill behind it with two hidden bolts aimed back toward the cowl. The "round bracket with tabs" is the bezel.Ed, glad you found all the right parts for your install. that should make things much easier.

Dave, here's a pic of what I did. I didn't have the correct T-bolts to slide into the speaker housing. I used the "round bracket with the notches" that the tabs wrap around from my '62, so I'd have a place to screw the clock to. Now that I have a parts car with an extra speaker grille, can I use the T-bolts that hold the housing in place for my clock or are they special? Also, do you need spacers between the clock and speaker housing to tighten up against or just pull the clock up snug and stop? I've never seen a '59-'60 setup, so I'm not sure.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/clockback.jpg

barnlark
03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
The T-bolts lock into that housing and go through a black hard cardboard "spacer" that is about four inches wide. It's easy to make and staple in an oval. It's the same shape as the grill housing, just smaller. The speaker plate with the speaker is then snugged up to it using those bolts, hiding the clock inside and allowing the speaker to have a directional shot through the grill.
If you have a stock radio, it's important to use at least an 8 ohm speaker, ideally 10 ohms as the originals. I found mine on ebay; new, but 8 ohm. Jon Myer also sends his original speakers out to be re-coned. Call him for stock ones if he has any. The common 4 ohm speakers can damage your radio, eventually.