PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble getting end play in Dana 44

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I purchased a set of Flanged axles from Phil Harris. His instructions are great. After installing the inner seal in the differential I injected the wheel bearing with a top quality bearing grease that is pre-installed on the Moser axles along with a plate, gasket and outer bearing cover. I cut the bottom of two .060 shims for each side of the differential. Install them on the backing plate and put the axles in. I tightened the nuts (4) each a little a time to set the bearing. Then checked for end play. It had none. Back the nuts off and install a .030 shim on one side and checked for end play. None. Installed another .030 shim on the other side. Checked for end play. none. Installed another .010 shim. still no endplay. I am running out of shims. I have 2 - .004 and 2 - .005 shims left.

When I took apart the tapered axles it only had a .030, .010 and a .005 shim on one side.

What's my problem? Do I keep adding shims until find some end play. I have my dial indicator installed to the front face of the new axle and I cannot get any movement back and forth on the axle. What's the best way to check for this movement for end play?

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-17-2007, 10:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

Only 1 side gets shims and it is to be tightened last as per the shop manual.

The manual covers tapered axles. I am in a whole new situation with flanged axles where the bearing is pressed on the axle. Shims are added/subtracted by modifying each shim. (cut the bottom portion out)Shims are not added behind the backing plate.

Will I increase end play by adding shims or do I have too many shims in already? Maybe I should have started out with the .030 shims. ?????

StudeRich
02-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Is it possible that the little "hats" that serve as axle spacers on all TT axles have fallen out of the Diff. and are jamming the axles?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Kdancy
02-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Are you using the stock brake backing plate? If that has been removed such as converting to disc brakes, you need one shim to take up the thickness of that plate.

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-18-2007, 10:13 AM
No, the thrust blocks were in place when the axle was installed. I looked down the differential tube prior to installing the axle. I am using the stock 11" Avanti style brake backing plate that the center hole was machined to 2 3/4" to allow the conversion to flanged axles - Allen

Chicken Hawk
02-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Did you happen to have the TT apart? If so, the axle needs to fit into two gears (the differential side gear ring and the differential side bevel gear). Or might you have inserted one of the axles into the first gear and turned the axle just enough it will not engage the second?

Another thing, did you smack the axle before checking for end play?

Ted

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

No, the thrust blocks were in place when the axle was installed. I looked down the differential tube prior to installing the axle. I am using the stock 11" Avanti style brake backing plate that the center hole was machined to 2 3/4" to allow the conversion to flanged axles - Allen

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-18-2007, 04:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chicken Hawk

Did you happen to have the TT apart? If so, the axle needs to fit into two gears (the differential side gear ring and the differential side bevel gear). Or might you have inserted one of the axles into the first gear and turned the axle just enough it will not engage the second?

Another thing, did you smack the axle before checking for end play?

Ted

Ted, I did not have the TT apart. I simply pulled the tapered axles out. Thrust blocks looked like they were in place. When I looked in the axle tube all I could see in the centre of tube was a circle imprint (from the end of the tapered axle)on what i believe was the thrust block installed on the cross pin. I did smack both axles prior to checking for end play.

I think I will pull all shims out and start with a .030 shim on both sides. Tighten it up again and check for end play.

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I have taken all 8 nuts off the 2 backing plates. I can not feel any movement in the axles with everything unbolted. Total and utter frustration!

I put the power shift transmission in Neutral tried to turn an axle. Both axles move with some resistance. I did this to see if there was any binding. There is none.

What is my next step? I'm Lost

studebaker-R2-4-me
02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Sometimes all you need is a bigger rubber mallet. I phoned Ted Harbit and he came to the rescue. Thanks Ted! The bearing was simply held up in the race. A really good smack with the mallet I had end play! I wound up using (1) .060 (2).030 (1).010 and (1).004 shims to achieve .003-.004 total end play on the dial indicator.

Dick Steinkamp
02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I phoned Ted Harbit and he came to the rescue.

That would be Ted [^]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Karl
02-18-2007, 11:49 PM
THIS IS GOOD READING. :)AS I WILL BE INSTALLING MY AXLES FROM PHIL REAL SOON.;) IN THE TWIN

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
64 Avanti R3w/NOS
88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS