Working on Ole Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on Ole Blue

The more I work on Old Blue the more I like him. I don't know if I am going to be able to sell him or not. He's starting to grow on me.
    Last week I took him on his maiden voyage of one mile. Lots of squeaks, groans and rumbles. He made that same trip about three more times with no problems.
    Today I replaced those old hard, rotten tires and original wheels with something a little more masculine and better riding. Some 'big-n-littles'. 255-70 15's on the rear and 215-75 15's on the front. Painted the rims red and installed small Stude caps and trim rings.
    This time I road tested him on a five mile trip. No problems.[8D] And he sure is smoother and quieter.
    I noticed on his first trip, he would not drop into overdrive. He free wheels but just wont catch overdrive. Last night I was looking at Ray-Lin's technical pages and saw what I have to do to trouble shoot the OD system (thanks Ray). I hope to find the time to do that next week.
    Gonna put a fresh coat of epoxy primer on him next week also.

see more pix of Ole Blue here...........

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Thanks for the picture Jerry. Just more inspiration! Car looks great! But I am hooked on "C/K's anyways, especiallys C's.[]
    Good Roads
    Brian
    PS Assuming this car has stock suspension. How do the 255 x15's fit on the rear? What is the backspace on your new red rims and are they 7" or 8"?[?]
    Thanks

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

The more I work on Old Blue the more I like him. I don't know if I am going to be able to sell him or not. He's starting to grow on me.
      I know just what you mean Jerry. It happens to me all the time. NT

see more pix of Ole Blue here...........

Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Neil Thornton
      Hazlehurst, GA
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '56 Sky Hawk
      '51 2R16 dump truck
      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Jerry, Just a noter about the overdrive... take it for a bit longer drive allowing it to get up to normal operating temperatures and get up to speed several times while trying to engage the OD each time. There's a very good chance that the solenoid is sticking and will work with a few more tries. Good Luck. Great looking car.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Jerry, Just a noter about the overdrive... take it for a bit longer drive allowing it to get up to normal operating temperatures and get up to speed several times while trying to engage the OD each time. There's a very good chance that the solenoid is sticking and will work with a few more tries. Good Luck. Great looking car.

sals54
          Thanks Sal, I'll try that.
          Gives me a good excuse to put more miles on 'im.
          Guess I'll get insurance and a license plate tomorrow. Or the next day.
          I don't have head lights, parking lights or the tail light lenses installed yet. Or door glass, or quarter windows, or any interior, 'cepting the headliner and the front seat.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I'm liking the whole look of Blue. Perhaps the reason he's growing on you is because the car is so far from perfect yet is so cool. You can drive the crap out of it with out being worried about the body work and paint. Junior.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Be sure to make sure the wire running to the solenoid isn't loose or off completely. I had to put a new clip on the end of my Champion's wire because it kept coming loose.

Doug
              Venice, Florida
              1950 Champion
              9G F1

Comment

I like the wheels, caps and rings. Looks cool.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

I had that problem with my old 48. If I would unhook the wires to the solinoid and clean the connections with brake clean it would then work. Also check the clip for the fuse. I would have continuity but after I tightened up the clips it would work.

Denny L

Comment

It's something about Jerry and tires! LOL

Looking good Jerry

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Jerry, ya need some little gold spinners on the hubcaps.

Comment

Jerry, forgot to ask...is that a chrome strip on the drip rail? Is it factory or aftermarket, never seen that before. Thanks, Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Studedude
                          quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Originally posted by mbstude

You makin' fun of me, Matt?
                          If it makes ya feel any better, my truck is Orange. Ain't that worse than gold spinners?

Junior, it's stainless that fits onto the drip rail. I have a complete set of the stuff if you want it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by junior

Jerry, forgot to ask...is that a chrome strip on the drip rail? Is it factory or aftermarket, never seen that before. Thanks, Junior
                            I've owned close to twenty C-K's and I don't remember any of them not having stainless caps on the drip rail.

But I am leaving it off Leo the '55 Pres Cp. As a matter of fact, I deleted a lot of stainless.

More pix of Leo here...

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Originally posted by mbstude

You makin' fun of me, Matt?
                              If it makes ya feel any better, my truck is Orange. Ain't that worse than gold spinners?

Junior, it's stainless that fits onto the drip rail. I have a complete set of the stuff if you want it.
                              If junior doesn't want it please let me know I think i might be interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X