PDA

View Full Version : avanti water pump

mapman
08-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I just got a new water pump from SI for my avanti but the fan clutch doesn't fit against the pulley. I have the cast pulley and wonder if the clutch is the wrong one. It is the one I got with the car. On the last pump (I believe it came from Lionel Stone and looks the same) I just cut part of the flange off so the clutch could bolt up tight. Anyone else have this problem?
Rob

N8N
08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
ISTR that the "nose" on the Avanti WP is larger in diameter than that on all other studebakers, is it possible you have a Lark/Hawk fan clutch?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ROADRACELARK
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Nate,
I just had both of these in my hands yesterday and the ORIGINAL Stude fan clutch DOES fit the Avanti (webb casting) pump. The other critical measurement is the OUTSIDE diameter of the fan clutch hub..it must fit in the recess of the cast pully.(Avanti). The other difference is the snout of the hub is longer for the use of the cast pully.(Avanti) The standard V8 pulleys don't have this requirement. According to the Stude and Avanti parts books, the fan clutch is the same on all V8's...mabe even 6's..never checked the pump snout to see. I am in the process of having an adapter machined to allow usage of a "common" THERMOSTATIC fan clutch. I know it will need to be thin for Avanti usage, but that is in the plans, thin as safely possible. Will post the results:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

mapman
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
my larks don't have clutches but the water pump that came with the avanti was a lark pump with a different style flange that did fit the clutch. The clutch I have doesn't fit over the flange but wiil fit over the shaft if I cut about 1/4" off the end of the flange. It just doesn't seem right.
Rob

ROADRACELARK
08-25-2006, 06:33 PM
What ever you do don't try using any of that until you get the right water pump![:0] You might be able to sell the lark pump if it's not too old, but you NEED the Avanti pump...the one with the webs in the pump body itself. You would also notice the longer shaft ahead of the pulley flange. Accept no substitute. Hope this helps.
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.