Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member From Pa

Hello

I wanted to introduce myself here, and tell you a brief story regarding a 1939 Commander.

My uncle just purchased the car this afternoon while in town from NC. It is unclear to me whether he will restore the car to factory, or mod/rod it out. Myself, I am a purist, and believe the car is in FANTASTIC condition, and should be kept original. The car was never restored, and is, to the best of our knowledge, 100% original.

There are a few reasons that I joined your wonerful community.

First, when I opened the glove box, I found a Studebaker Drivers Club membership renewal form. The original owner(who passed away sometime in the last two years) was a member of the SDC. I do not know if he belonged to the forum or not, but was wondering if there was a way to find out??? Maybe help us fill in the details of this awesome vehicle.

And second, if my uncle does not listen to me, and strips this car down to mod/rod, I wanted original parts to be available to owners who need/want them. I am not sure the best way to sell/barter these, and am open to suggestions if the need arises, such as prices and where to advertise.

Like I said, it is a great car that purrs like a kitten. I hope he keeps it original...We'll See!

Oh, and in case you are wondering, here are two quick pictures:

Welcome to the Forum Tim... That's a nice looking <s>Champion</s> Commander (me bad). [8D] I'm with you and hope it gets to stay ORIGINAL.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another hidden beauty back on the road. While I have nothing against RAT RODS, I hope your uncle will apprechiate the value on having an original untouched 70 year old piece of history.

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.
      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.

Comment

Please share the previous owners name. The car looks like it is ready for a local car show. Perhaps if he drives it once to a local show, he will decide to keep it as is. They are only original once.

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I hope it stays original!

J.D. , you called it a Champion, but the hood says Commander. What can you tell me about this vehicle? I really do not know anything about these cars, and joined up to learn as much as I can.

Comment

Hi Tim, welcome to the Forum. That's a beautiful car. I see that it has a Keystone Region Chapter SDC license plate on it. While I live in western PA (near the Pgh airport) I belong to Keystone, Allegheny, and Kinzua chapters in PA and the OH Region Chapter in OH.

If you could give me the name of the original owner, perhaps I might be able to help you with information about him from the club roster, and could find out if he was a Forum member.

Again welcome, and I hope your uncle decides to keep it original. I have a '40 President which is on my to-do list. These pre-war cars are great vehicles. [^]
            John Wherry (JWW)

Comment

Milaca: I'll get back to the garage in an hour or so, and I'll be able to provide the name then. Also, any requests for additional specific pictures?

JWW: Thank You!

Comment

I hope you keep it original too. My '50 Champion still has the original (very presentable but not perfect) interior, spare tire, dealer tag on the trunk, etc. so I'm a big fan of originality. Welcome to the forum....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Tim,

There are several related Studebaker clubs, some of which are more specific to certain years or models. For example, pre-war cars The Antique Studebaker Club, and the Avanti Owners Club.

There are links on the SDC homepage to these.

The ASC is http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/
                  ASC publishes a separate magazine The Antique Studebaker Review. You might want to check out the ASC site.
                  JWW

Comment

Mark57 made a little boo-boo in calling it a Champion. Definitely a Commander. Love the original look. Keep it that way. A good wash job, get the rust off the bumper, maybe replace those fogged vent glasses (would not hurt originality), and you're good to go![^]

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Like has been said, not a Champion. I notice it has a Keystone Chapter plate on the front bumper. I'm certain that your car is well known to those members in that chapter.

Welcome to the club and that looks like a very nice car. I wouldn't change a thing, "they're only original once". While I respect that the car is your uncle's and he can do as he wishes, it'd be a shame to "mess up" that car's originality. I'm all for modifieds, stockers, or whatever. But a car like that deserves to be preserved as it. Just my opinion, of course.

Here's a buddy's '38 Commander. Same condition as yours; original paint and interior. This particular car was owned by the founder of SDC back in the '60's and '70's. They're great cars.

[img][/img]

Matthew Burnette

Comment

Great car indeed. Glad to have you with us. I'm not opposed to hot roddng a Stude (like a lot of folks here), but I'm with you that this one needs to be left as is. Where in North Carolina is your uncle from? Is he an SDC member and belong to a local chapter?

Again, its is good to have you with us.

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

PLEASE,"PRETTY PLEASE" KEEP THAT ONE ORIGIONAL! honestly the owner has the choice but,what I said above would honer the car.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I see you guys are with me on this! The former owner's name is Clyde Ohl. Hopefully that helps get more info.

This is my uncle's first Stude. He is not a member yet. And he is from Mooresville, NC.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome Tim. If your uncle does decide to modify it, please take lots of pictures from every angle before he begins. Lots of times there are questions concerning originality on older cars and this could help someone restoring one.

Doug
                              Venice, Florida
                              1950 Champion
                              9G F1

Comment

Working...
                              X