Replacement Fuel Tank for a 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Fuel Tank for a 63 Avanti

I have searched high and low for a replacement tank for my avanti. Any advice? Also, thanks a million for all of your advice with my electronic ignition question. You guy's make this fun.

You might be better off getting yours restored for a few $100, rather then spend a lot more for a reproduction stainless tank.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Avantiman, I too am looking for a repo Stainless Steel tank. I am in the process of pulling my current motor and replacing with an '06 Chevy 5.3L FlexFuel engine that will REQUIRE SS Tanks & lines due to the future use of E85 fuels. Even todays 10% ethanol fuels hold a lot of moisture that will wreck havoc with our older steel tanks & lines. One of the more popular SoCal shops has told to be aware that "some" of the resto shops use coatings that will NOT hold up to ever increasing amounts of ethanol blends in our fuels. Still haven't found that SS metal shop yet, but maybe we could do better with two orders than individually.

Comment

If someone would supply us with a used Avanti gas tank, we could draw it up to go along with our stainless Avanti frame. Provision for an internal pump for EFI could be optional.
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Here's the guy making the stainless gas tanks:

Olympus Avanti, Inc.
          George Dimitsas
          773-486-6026

64 Commander 2 dr.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
          60 Lark HT
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Spoke with George today concerning the 304 SS Avanti replacement tank. Other than the price, the biggest issue is a six-month wait. The unit has all the same baffling as the original unit but is made as a fill-in time project which means it is always being delayed. If another source doesn't come thru with their quote by next week, I will probably give George a deposit and hope and wait.

Comment

You might give "grobb284" a try, that frame he is making is intense.
              The option for an internal fuel pump is NICE. FYI I had my tank done
              by a local shop when it was leaking. He opened it up and redid the
              baffle plates, sealed it back up. That was 10 years ago. No leaks.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by HNCadetIf another source doesn't come thru with their quote by next week, I will probably give George a deposit and hope and wait.
              '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Avantiman, I too am looking for a repo Stainless Steel tank. I am in the process of pulling my current motor and replacing with an '06 Chevy 5.3L FlexFuel engine that will REQUIRE SS Tanks & lines due to the future use of E85 fuels. Even todays 10% ethanol fuels hold a lot of moisture that will wreck havoc with our older steel tanks & lines. One of the more popular SoCal shops has told to be aware that "some" of the resto shops use coatings that will NOT hold up to ever increasing amounts of ethanol blends in our fuels. Still haven't found that SS metal shop yet, but maybe we could do better with two orders than individually.
                Don't overlook the fuel pump in this. The Ford unit is also made with stainless and retails around $950. Make sure the fuel pump will be compatible with the Avanti tank and the E85.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

When we built our frame for a 1955 Chevy, we designed the gas tank to be over the rear axle, derived from the Avanti for safety, rather than in the rear like original 1955's.

This is the stainless gas tank we built for it with a provision for a removable in sump EFI fuel pump. Notice the resemblance to the Avanti tank?
                  sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X