Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly question du jour...installing wheelcovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question du jour...installing wheelcovers?

A couple searches yielded no previous posts about this, so...

Got a near-new set of '62 Lark wheelcovers at York to replace the somewhat willy-nilly covers on my Lark (two originals--one of them dented--and two repros).

I'm thinking that this, at least, might be a job I can do for myself! How does one go about removing/installing full-width wheelcovers for a Lark-type?

(No hurry BTW; the car's in the shop now and is having the brakes done as time permits, so I don't expect to have Betty back again for probably two weeks or so.)

S.

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

A couple searches yielded no previous posts about this, so...

Got a near-new set of '62 Lark wheelcovers at York to replace the somewhat willy-nilly covers on my Lark (two originals--one of them dented--and two repros).

I'm thinking that this, at least, might be a job I can do for myself! How does one go about removing/installing full-width wheelcovers for a Lark-type?

(No hurry BTW; the car's in the shop now and is having the brakes done as time permits, so I don't expect to have Betty back again for probably two weeks or so.)

S.
    Hub cap tool. Rubber hammer on one end, prying hook on the other. A rubber mallet would work, maybe rag wrapped.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

For removal, I tap a flat blade screwdriver inbetween the wheel cover and the wheel (with the palm of my hand) and pry outward, and repeat this procedure around the circumfrence until it pops off. Careful not to pry too far as that would bend and damage the wheel cover. For installation, I use the palm of my hand to pound it into place.

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I use my bare fist to install. They are less likely to dent that way. Be sure your fist is tight or you'll be inlined to bruise. Here's a youtube link. Its easier than trying to describe it.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Thanks much all--forum comes up aces again...I have several spare wheelcovers, may experiment with one of those to make sure I've got it right before trying to install these really nice ones from York.

Cheers

S.

Comment

Steve,

You may wish to check the tabs and perhaps bend the tabs out slightly so that the fit is tight.

If hubcaps have been removed often, the tabs are loose or can break off or do not hold the hubcap on tightly.

Paul

Comment

Has anyone tried using the handle end of a wood handled hammer placed in the dished in area near the edge of the wheel cover and then hitting the hammer end of the hammer with the palm of your hand? This works well for me since when the cap is pushed in in this manner, the outer edge of the cap is pulled slightly away from the wheel and it slips in better. As stated before you have to work your way around the cap and make sure that it is completely seated.

Comment

Working...
              X