62 H Disc brake/dual master cylinder conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 H Disc brake/dual master cylinder conversion

There appears to be a couple opinions on the bext kit for a front disc brake and dual master cylinder conversion. Its a 62 GT Hawk, 4 speed, 4 barrel car.

Any insight on which kit is the best is appreciated. It will be installed by my local shop. He does a lot of antique work.
    sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Jim Turner for both:

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

IMHO, you can't do better than the Turner brake conversion. I've installed a couple of Jim's kits, and I would highly recommend them. Quick and easy!

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Outstanding.
        Thanks for the insight - as my Studebaker learning curve improves I will haopefully have less dumb questions.
        sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

The only other viable option that I've seen to the Turner brakes are the ones that Tom "sbca96" is selling that use Cobra brakes, but I have no experience with those. You'd still need the Turner master cylinder bracket to go with a dual master.

Either way you go I believe you will have to get new wheels, just so you know.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:as my Studebaker learning curve improves I will haopefully have less dumb questions.
            Don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Nate makes a good point about the wheels. You will need a later Studebaker wheel that has adequate clearance for the calipers, or an aftermarket wheel, or an interchange from Ford or Mopar. If you use the "Search" function, you can probably find a lot of discussion about wheels.

I would recommend going to a 6" wide rim to suit a 205 or 215 tire.

Jim Bradley
            Lewistown PA
            '78 Avanti II
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Santa
              For ease etc then Turner brakes would be the way to go.
              I installed discs on my 62 Gt but did not want a booster cluttering up the engine bay plus I wanted to appear stock.
              I opted for Volvo 4 spot calipers. They were a Girling brake and came of the early 70's models.
              They work perfectly and no booster required.
              Just something to add to the mix.
              pb

Comment

Re: Turner Discs - They are great and Mr Turner is a great person to buy from - He gave very freely of his time and advice in troubleshooting a couple problems.
                One area of concern I noticed while installing a R&P in my '63 Hawk: At full turn and the wheel at its upmost (highest) point, such as when turning into a steep driveway, the fitting at the caliper would hit against the frame. This may vary from car to car, but it is serious enough that I had custom brake lines made. Stongly suggest checking this possible problem.
                Paul K

Comment

Turner Brake kits for both M/C and brakes. Discs take about 3 to 4 hours to install, M/C kit takes about 90 min, of which 50 min is bending the lines to look perfect. Cannot beat his system. Had his dual MC kit on my 56 Hawk since 2003. If you can use a Mitsibushi Eclips 1995 MC with ABS. Neater fit and you can mount the resivoir up inengine bay and you do not need to go diving under carpet anymore if the 62's still had an underfloor MC

Comment

Turner Brake kits for both M/C and brakes. Discs take about 3 to 4 hours to install, M/C kit takes about 90 min, of which 50 min is bending the lines to look perfect. Cannot beat his system. Had his dual MC kit on my 56 Hawk since 2003. If you can use a Mitsibushi Eclips 1995 MC with ABS. Neater fit and you can mount the resivoir up inengine bay and you do not need to go diving under carpet anymore if the 62's still had an underfloor MC

Comment

Working...
                    X