Lark R2 valve covers removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark R2 valve covers removed

I was amazed to find the heads in the shape that they are. I ordered new valve cover gaskets because one side was just puking oil. Come to find out it was not installed correctly. Since they are off I figured I would adjust the valves. Can someone tell me the clearances and how to adjust? Thanks very much

I always adjust my valves cold. Its quicker, easier and far less messy. Some will tell you they MUST be done while the car is running and hot. Please don't believe that. I clearance the valves cold at .025. The clearance is set simply by slipping the feeler gage between the valve top and the rocker. The adjustment is made by turning the screw at the top of the pushrod. There should be a fair amount of resistance when turning the adjuster screw. The feeler gage should move through the gap with only a small bit of drag. Now, bring No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke with the timing pointer at 0 on the front dampner. You can now adjust 1-3-4-8 Exhaust valves... and 1-2-5-7 Intake valves. Pay close attention to which valves you are doing at this point. Its easy to get confused. When those are done, move No. 6 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke, again with the pointer at 0. You can now finish with the 2-5-6-7 exhaust valves... and the 3-4-6-8 intakes. With some practice, valves can be adjusted in about 30 minutes this way without oil splashing all over the car and ground. Good luck. I'm excited as all get out to see how this car goes on ebay. I can't afford it, but DANG, what a cool find.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

Thanks again Sal. She should go on E-bay around 5pm p.s.t. tomorrow

Comment

Brandon, Don't get me wrong, I'll be bidding on the car. Ya' never know... maybe no one else will notice it, and I'll get to buy it for the $100 opening bid. ! ! ! ! ? ? ? ?

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Just a quick addition to Sal's excellent advice. On each valve, insert the feeler gauge, and back off the screw enough to be tight on the gauge. Slowly move the wrench with tugging pressure on the gauge. When the gauge slips out you're done.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

We'll let a real expert, (of 50 years), give ya the correct way to adjust valves cold, (and ONLY just to get the engine started after major surgery). Some fellas like the clack-itty-clack, back-firing when ya let the throttle off, low fuel mileage and low power they get when they don't adjust the valves after they're warm. Please believe that....

Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
            X