3EE battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3EE battery

I have a "Bumper-to-Bumper" brand 3EE battery in my '63 Avanti.
    It has 400 CCA's. Does anyone know of another brand battery
    that would have more CCA's?

Interstate makes a 3EE battery but it also is rated at 400 cca. It's an industrial battery so check with suppliers for that market.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

When my 3EE dies in my 63R3453 I'm planning to install Napa SureStart 65. It is smaller and 15 lbs lighter @ 27.8#, the 3EE is 43# It's 8 3/4H x 9 3/8L x5 1/16 W. C.C.A @ 0 degrees F is 500. C. A. @ 32 degrees F is 625. Load test amps is 250 and reserve capacity is 85. By my measurements it should fit in the same location as the 3EE. It is also less expensive than the 3EE. I hope this helps.

Comment

400cca is plenty good for the Avanti. If put on a load tester it will probably exceed those specs. The 3EE battery has lots of reserve and will serve you fine.

Denny L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyc

When my 3EE dies in my 63R3453 I'm planning to install Napa SureStart 65. It is smaller and 15 lbs lighter @ 27.8#, the 3EE is 43# It's 8 3/4H x 9 3/8L x5 1/16 W. C.C.A @ 0 degrees F is 500. C. A. @ 32 degrees F is 625. Load test amps is 250 and reserve capacity is 85. By my measurements it should fit in the same location as the 3EE. It is also less expensive than the 3EE. I hope this helps.
          I've checked and the dimensions you have listed are not correct for a BCI Group Size 65 battery; however they do match the BCI Group size 51 battery.

Since my car is in Ohio being restored by the Myers I plan on using Harris Battery Company based in Ohio to purchase a 3EE Commercial battery. It's specs are the best I've found to date online:

3EE - 540 cca @0F; 675 CA @32F; 100 hr reserve capacity

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Try Antique Auto Battery of Hudson, Ohio. They make a Poly-Tar top WILLARD Battery with correct labeling and red caps. CCA's are 780! It's a AGM Battery in the old 3EE case.

scroll to bottom of list and click on view.

Excellent customer service and warranty too.

Comment

I sent a request for quote. Thanks for the source.

Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

They got back to me by 7:30AM. $255 plus $35 shipping to my door.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                Jim
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Batteries Plus sells one that has 500 CCA
                  HTIH
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

I have a "Bumper-to-Bumper" brand 3EE battery in my '63 Avanti.
                  It has 400 CCA's. Does anyone know of another brand battery
                  that would have more CCA's?
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

AGM batteries are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Optima uses them and now Sears has a limited line of AGM batteries in their platinum series Die Hards. Those from Antique Auto may be pricey, but with those specs & looking like the original Willard will be the next one in my Avanti's too.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The SLI3ET from Batteries Plus is CLOSE to what may be the correct size of the original Avanti Willard 3EEE. [^]

The Antique batteries (Willard) Tar Top repro. (leaky) is 19 X 4.25 X 9 in. and 780 CCA.

The Batteries Plus, SLI3ET (3ET) Ray O Vac Ultra Pro (made in USA by East Penn Battery of Penn.) is: 19.31 X 4.38 X 9.81 tall, which MAY be a bit tall! They do say after calling the Mfg. for the CA, that it does replace a 3EEE. This is a "lot-O LEAD" =48.4 Lbs.
                      It is 500 CCA, a CA of 625 and a leakproof sealed top, and sells at their Everett, WA store for $89.95 + $5.00 shipping + $10.00 core and WA sales Tax. [^]

AGM Battery? [?] That is not an Optima is it? [?]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm all for trying to find the best battery as per as highest CCA rating but if you store your car during winter or if its keep inside garage during winter the higher CCA may not be needed. I like the idea of an AGM battery but $290 for the Antique Battery Co. battery is too much for this CASO. I've asked for a quote from Harris Battery (Ohio) for their 3EE with 550 CCA rating and when it arrives I'll post. I saw a 3EE EXIDE brand battery at our local Tractor Supply store today here in Mustang, OK and it was $89.99 for a 370 CCA rating. You can buy three of those for the price of one Antique Battery AGM. If my car was a top point show original I'd probably splurge for the AGM Willard one.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

I'm all for trying to find the best battery as per as highest CCA rating but if you store your car during winter or if its keep inside garage during winter the higher CCA may not be needed. I like the idea of an AGM battery but $290 for the Antique Battery Co. battery is too much for this CASO. I've asked for a quote from Harris Battery (Ohio) for their 3EE with 550 CCA rating and when it arrives I'll post. I saw a 3EE EXIDE brand battery at our local Tractor Supply store today here in Mustang, OK and it was $89.99 for a 370 CCA rating. You can buy three of those for the price of one Antique Battery AGM. If my car was a top point show original I'd probably splurge for the AGM Willard one.

John
                          Well, the Willard Battery case was the original reason for spending the $$$$(authenticity), then in the middle of my restoration, my Restorer showed up with a '57 El Morroco. I recalled this car as it was his restoration of this car that convinced me to use him for my Avanti. Well, when he opened the hood, I saw why the car was back in his shop........the lead-acid battery blew up and destroyed everything under the hood. That convinced me to go with the AGM and spend the extra $$. Cheap Insurance.

Comment

Hi, Gang. My experience is that the 3ET battery IS too high to fit in the Avanti (in place of the 3EE size). I tried one in the past due to the 3ET's increased CCA spec. Did not even bother to "try" to close the hood after dropping the battery in place. It was clearly too tall. Fortunately, I had a great relationship with the auto parts store owner....he swapped me out for a 3EE, and all was well. John in Wisconsin

Comment

Jim and others, I bought the Interstate battery. Local dealer ordered it, so no shipping. $126 out the door. Works great. Started the car easily at -10 degrees this winter. John

1963 Avanti R2
                              Marshall, VA
                              John
                              1963 Avanti R2
                              Marshall, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X