AC and springs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC and springs.....

I'm adding AC to a 63' Cruiser that has PS & PB...LHD. I'm sure some of you guys have installed the system on a car with standard front coil springs and seen what it does up front for ride height. What does it do ? For the life of me I can't see the whole shootin match weighing more than 100 lbs...and most of it is on the right side opposite the PS, PB, steering gear and 200 lbs of me...! And I usually have the trunk filled with: spare tire and tools, tool box, water pump, fuel pump, meet seat, maybe a cooler or travel bag(s)...
    Shouldn't/wouldn't this all balance out.....? I'm sure the ride handling would be subjective...I'm just interested in ride heights and profile. Right now, the 289 and the 30K original miles have the front of rocker ~ 1/2 lower than the rear of rocker.....

quote:Originally posted by jackb

I'm adding AC to a 63' Cruiser that has PS & PB...LHD. I'm sure some of you guys have installed the system on a car with standard front coil springs and seen what it does up front for ride height. What does it do ? For the life of me I can't see the whole shootin match weighing more than 100 lbs...and most of it is on the right side opposite the PS, PB, steering gear and 200 lbs of me...! And I usually have the trunk filled with: spare tire and tools, tool box, water pump, fuel pump, meet seat, maybe a cooler or travel bag(s)...
    Shouldn't/wouldn't this all balance out.....? I'm sure the ride handling would be subjective...I'm just interested in ride heights and profile. Right now, the 289 and the 30K original miles have the front of rocker ~ 1/2 lower than the rear of rocker.....
    Parts books always list a heavier duty spring for air conditioned cars. Some of that weight is ahead of the front wheels which adds more than just the scale weight.
    However, I say go ahead and install it as is. If it drops the front more than you like, just install a set of 1/2" or so spring spacers. They will raise the front at least 1 3/4". Jon Myer sells them. On my '64 Daytona convertible I installed a Vintage air setup and I didn't notice any drop at all. However, I had already installed a set of spacers.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
    X