Tracing a car???? HOW???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing a car???? HOW???

Recently I've been bitten by the urge to try to trace the 1941 Studebaker Champion Coupe my grandfather had. Being an Indiana car, its probally long since been junked, but I want to try anyways.

I have the s/n of the car and several old Indiana plate numbers. Does anybody know how to see is such a car is still in existance, or at least currently titled or registered?

Here is a picture of the car; standing in front of it is my late Mother, about 3-4 years old.

Thanks,
    Kent

Kent,

Indiana DMV would be a start. Likely, they do not have records back that far - or even into the 60s for that matter. But it's a start.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Kent,

Indiana DMV would be a start. Likely, they do not have records back that far - or even into the 60s for that matter. But it's a start.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good Point.

Does anyone know here if say law enforcement can look up by a non-conforming less-then-14-digit S/N to see if its currently registered?

Thanks
        Kent

Comment

Good Point.

Does anyone know here if say law enforcement can look up by a non-conforming less-then-14-digit S/N to see if its currently registered?

Thanks
          Kent

Comment

Kent, if that car is titled and registered, a title search would work. But depending on how a given state used the numbers on the car, you may need to try 3 or more title searches. States issued titles based on;

* engine number
            * serial number
            * chassis or frame number

Add to that it could be in any of the 50 states or 12 Canadian Provinces/Territories, you'd have to run 189 different title searches to find out that this car no longer has a history. Many states don't even require a title on a car over 20 years old.

And after you've explorer all of those odds, the reality is that the car was recycled 50 years ago to make a new Rambler...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Kent, if that car is titled and registered, a title search would work. But depending on how a given state used the numbers on the car, you may need to try 3 or more title searches. States issued titles based on;

* engine number
              * serial number
              * chassis or frame number

Add to that it could be in any of the 50 states or 12 Canadian Provinces/Territories, you'd have to run 189 different title searches to find out that this car no longer has a history. Many states don't even require a title on a car over 20 years old.

And after you've explorer all of those odds, the reality is that the car was recycled 50 years ago to make a new Rambler...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

While it's unfortunate that it is so difficult to trace a long-gone car, sometimes it's better to keep the memory and let the reality go. As many forum members can tell you, finding a car after many years may not turn out to satisfy your dreams. Rust happens.

However, you might be cheered up to know that there are many '41 cars still on the road and generally not too expensive if you want one. There are a couple in New England - though not currently for sale - that are close to the one in your picture.

Here's a '41 coupe that is the same body style as your picture, though the colors might be reversed. It belongs to Ed Bratton.

Here's a double-dater coupe (I think that's the model name) that is closer in color but has the short cab. This one belongs to Paul Derosier.

I'm sympathetic: a few years ago I found a picture of the house in Baltimore that we moved into in 1948, when I was barely in short pants, and parked on the street was a 1941 Studebaker. It didn't belong to my family, but it must have been part of what got me started.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

While it's unfortunate that it is so difficult to trace a long-gone car, sometimes it's better to keep the memory and let the reality go. As many forum members can tell you, finding a car after many years may not turn out to satisfy your dreams. Rust happens.

However, you might be cheered up to know that there are many '41 cars still on the road and generally not too expensive if you want one. There are a couple in New England - though not currently for sale - that are close to the one in your picture.

Here's a '41 coupe that is the same body style as your picture, though the colors might be reversed. It belongs to Ed Bratton.

Here's a double-dater coupe (I think that's the model name) that is closer in color but has the short cab. This one belongs to Paul Derosier.

I'm sympathetic: a few years ago I found a picture of the house in Baltimore that we moved into in 1948, when I was barely in short pants, and parked on the street was a 1941 Studebaker. It didn't belong to my family, but it must have been part of what got me started.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I've actually seen a couple of those in this part of the country, one that is driven everywhere and still has its original paint!

quotearked on the street was a 1941 Studebaker.
                    A Land Cruiser no less! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

I've actually seen a couple of those in this part of the country, one that is driven everywhere and still has its original paint!

quotearked on the street was a 1941 Studebaker.
                      A Land Cruiser no less! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, Georgia
                      '59 Scotsman PU
                      '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

In 2003 Auto Restorer magazine did an article on chasing your cars' roots. The author offers several tips, but it all boils down to the fact that some states are much more accomodating than others.
                        The car in the old B&W pic looks like an 'F' body; a 2-door sedan.

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

In 2003 Auto Restorer magazine did an article on chasing your cars' roots. The author offers several tips, but it all boils down to the fact that some states are much more accomodating than others.
                          The car in the old B&W pic looks like an 'F' body; a 2-door sedan.

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I've seen pictures of a few '41s that just knocked my socks off![:0][:X][] They were really beautiful cars. I have to keep telling myself, "No pre-wars, no pre-wars." By the way, I finally solved the carb problems with my '63 Champ. I put the 2bbl from my '52 Commander on it and it now runs like a watch. Go figure!

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I've seen pictures of a few '41s that just knocked my socks off![:0][:X][] They were really beautiful cars. I have to keep telling myself, "No pre-wars, no pre-wars." By the way, I finally solved the carb problems with my '63 Champ. I put the 2bbl from my '52 Commander on it and it now runs like a watch. Go figure!

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X