Hamilton production question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton production question

I received an email from a lady asking...

"Other than the Avanti, were there any other models that were NOT made in Hamilton, Ontario?"

I don't know but I bet some of you do!

BShaw, Webmaster
    webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Before, or after 1964?

Comment

<s>No trucks/pickups.</s>

Edit: I assume that Bob Shaw meant prior to 1965. I was not aware that trucks/pickups were built there, sorry for the incorrect info. I guess I am safe to say that Champ pickups were not built there?

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The date IS important... Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks), but after the South Bend closure, only Lark types were produced in Hamilton. Trucks as late as the 2R series of C-Cabs were produced in Hamilton as well. As previously stated, no Avantis.

Like many Studebaker questions, the answer is not simple!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca
          I guess I am safe to say that Champ pickups were not built there?

Yup!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

The 1963 Standard series was never made in Canada, and neither was the 1964 Challenger. They weren't advertised for sale in Canada, either, though it is possible one or more could have been special ordered from South Bend.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
              Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks)
              Mark, I belive all 1767 '64 G.T. Hawks were made in South Bend.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks)
                Mark, I belive all 1767 '64 G.T. Hawks were made in South Bend.

Craig
                No disagreement from me! [8)] I have a hard enough time remembering truck stuff...

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I guess the time frame really IS pretty important, because I read somewhere that there was another Canadian Assembly Plant prior to Hamilton, so there were Canadian Studebakers a very long time ago apparently.

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I received a query on Canadian production last week and it too from a lady...probably the same one? In any event the question was not the same but more general in nature. I answered her as follows:

Marcella;

Studebakers were assembled in Walkerville, Ontario between 1910 and 1936. After World War II
                    they purchased a large plant in Hamilton, Ontario that had been used to make Rofors anti-aircraft
                    guns and set up operations there. The first post WWII Studebakers came down the assembly line
                    on August 18, 1948. Operations continued at this site until March 17, 1966.

It should be noted that Studebaker's main manufacturing plant was in South Bend, Indiana thru
                    December 1963. In January 1964 all production was moved to the Hamilton plant where it continued
                    thru the March date mentioned above. From 1910 thru 1936 there were 65,503 Studebaker cars
                    (and a few trucks) assembled in Walkerville and from 1948 thru 1966 there were 179,325 Studebakers
                    assembled in the Hamilton plant. Pickup trucks were assembled in Hamilton between 1949 and 1955.

To specifically answer your question, yes, Studebakers were assembled in Canada in 1950. In that particular calendar year 15,296 were built.

Good luck with the project.

Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Craig

Comment

Yep. Same person that contacted Richard. I will send her a link to this topic. Thanks.

BShaw, Webmaster
                        webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                        Woodbury, Minnesota
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota
                        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

We didn't build or market Challengers in Canada.
                          Stu Chapman

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

The 1963 Standard series was never made in Canada, and neither was the 1964 Challenger. They weren't advertised for sale in Canada, either, though it is possible one or more could have been special ordered from South Bend.

Craig

Comment

Just to set the record straight...the previous use of the Hamilton plant was to build Bofors armaments, not Rofors. The Studebaker National Museum book has this name misspelled as well and will be corrected in the next printing. I hope everyone remembers that tomorrow at 8:11 AM it will be 44 years to the minute the last Studebaker came off the line in Hamilton. As the local TV commentator said back then..."March 17th 1966, the day all Irishmen remember, the last Studebaker was built"
                            Stu Chapman

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

I received a query on Canadian production last week and it too from a lady...probably the same one? In any event the question was not the same but more general in nature. I answered her as follows:

Marcella;

Studebakers were assembled in Walkerville, Ontario between 1910 and 1936. After World War II
                            they purchased a large plant in Hamilton, Ontario that had been used to make Rofors anti-aircraft
                            guns and set up operations there. The first post WWII Studebakers came down the assembly line
                            on August 18, 1948. Operations continued at this site until March 17, 1966.

It should be noted that Studebaker's main manufacturing plant was in South Bend, Indiana thru
                            December 1963. In January 1964 all production was moved to the Hamilton plant where it continued
                            thru the March date mentioned above. From 1910 thru 1936 there were 65,503 Studebaker cars
                            (and a few trucks) assembled in Walkerville and from 1948 thru 1966 there were 179,325 Studebakers
                            assembled in the Hamilton plant. Pickup trucks were assembled in Hamilton between 1949 and 1955.

To specifically answer your question, yes, Studebakers were assembled in Canada in 1950. In that particular calendar year 15,296 were built.

Good luck with the project.

Richard Quinn

Comment

You are correct Mark.
                              Stu Chapman

The date IS important... Most models of Studebaker cars were built there up to 1964 (including Hawks), but after the South Bend closure, only Lark types were produced in Hamilton. Trucks as late as the 2R series of C-Cabs were produced in Hamilton as well. As previously stated, no Avantis.

Like many Studebaker questions, the answer is not simple!

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X