PDA

View Full Version : 63 Cruiser driveshaft problem

Kdancy
02-16-2007, 07:11 AM
I am putting a 63 Cruiser chassis back together and am stumped on the driveshaft. It appears to be at least an inch too long. I will move all the way up the tailshaft housing (even took the housing off to make sure it moved all the way up the output shaft splines)and it is just too long to mount to the rear end. The car has new rear springs and all rubber mounts are new. It is a 289 with flightomatic and dana 44 rear. The body is off.
Any ideas before I have the driveshaft shortened?

N8N
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Is it possible that you have a driveshaft for a Model 27 rear end? That would be longer... The slip yoke should go *almost* all the way into the trans but not bottom out.

You can find the diameter, wall thickness, and length specs in the FSM. I believe the length dimension given is center-to-center of the U-joint bearings. That should tell you right off whether or not you have the right driveshaft.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

skyway
02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Just a thought as I have not done motor mounts in several years, but aren't there a couple of possible mounting holes in the steel plates that attach to the frame? If so, given the extent of your disassembly, is there any chance you've chosen the wrong holes? 'Course I guess that would throw off the trans mounts too, but engine location would be a good thing to nail down before trying to mount the body.

mapman
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
My '63 289, FOM, TT cruiser driveshaft is 50 1/8 in. center to center.
Rob

Kdancy
02-16-2007, 05:20 PM
The first thing we thought about was the motor mount location. We could pick up a few tenths that way but not near enough for the driveshaft to work. I just measured it and got 50 1/8".
I'm going to loosen the motor and trans mounts and see how far forward it will move. The rear is a dana 44 that the driveshaft was the one in it before teardown.
thanks guys

N8N
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
a shaft for a 63-Y8 with AD and model 44 rear should be 50-5/32" according to the parts book (sorry, I thought it was in the FSM but it's actually in the parts book) so it sounds like you have the right shaft... I could check for you now that I'm at home.

Is it possible that you have the trans mounts swapped side to side? That would throw the engine off front-rear although I'm not sure which way.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dwain G.
02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
New rear springs huh? I wonder if the center pin is located incorrectly. I'd take a couple measurements and compare them to frame dimensions in the shop manual.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Kdancy
02-17-2007, 08:59 AM
We did remount the engine using the mounting holes that were used when we pulled it.
Why did they put two hole positions for mounting engine? V8 or 6 ?

Dwain G.
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Your car uses the right hand holes. Right hand drive cars use the left hand holes. Some other models have four holes in each bracket. Front holes for a 6 cyl., rear ones for a V8, right ones for left hand drive, etc.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Kdancy
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Your car uses the right hand holes. Right hand drive cars use the left hand holes. Some other models have four holes in each bracket. Front holes for a 6 cyl., rear ones for a V8, right ones for left hand drive, etc.
Dwain G.

UPDATE----Ok everyone, I loosened the motor and bellhousing mounts and moved everything as far forward as I could. I re-installed the transmission and did get the driveshaft in without prying it in place. I had to take the 2 bearing caps off, put the u-bolts in place, slide the u-joint into position, then slide the caps in place - then push the u-bolts on into the holes and install the washers and nuts on them. I've never had this tight a fit on any I've ever installed. However, there doesn't appear to be any binding which is a good thing.
Dwain, thanks for the info on the mount holes :)

Kdancy
02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
skyway,
We have checked and re-checked mounts, mounting points, crossmembers, springs measurements and driveshaft length. While
it is close, it is not bottoming out on the trans output shaft. While I would feel more comfortable with a looser fit, it seems fine now that it is in place. I talked to one other person who had similer problems with a 63 and 64 cruiser. The 63 had a rag stuck in the yoke, keeping it from going on all the way. He never did find the problem with the 64.

skyway
02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Re UPDATE:

The steps you describe have never been needed to R&R the driveshaft on my '64 Cruiser. My car has never been taken as far down at one time as yours, but at different times I've pulled engine, trans, differential, and replaced the passenger side leaf spring. I'm still worried that something is out of place, and I'd be concerned that with that tight a fit, in use the yoke might "bottom out" into the trans output shaft?