51 Champion Window Handle Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion Window Handle Removal

Good afternoon. I can't see a clip holding the front door window handle to its spindle, only a roll pin. How does it come off?

I need to remove it, and the door interior panel, to remove the door lock (got an ignition key that does not match the doors--the other key does work the glove box and trunk okay).

Regards,
    Clarence

The pin is the only thing (other than corrosion and rust) that holds the handle on. You should be able to push against the door panel enough to expose it and then tap it out with a punch. The pin will then either: a.) roll on the ground out of sight, b.) fall into your car and disappear, or c.) fall into the door and disappear. Regardless, you'll never see it again. Fortunately, replacements are readily available at local hardware or FLAPS.

1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Thanks, Lothar, I much appreciate it. I've been known to do a) and b) myself from time to time.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

?
        The only thing that holds the door handle and window cranks on my 52 Champion is a phillips head screw in the middle of the handle. No clips at all.

Comment

Michidan is correct about the window cranks. The screws in the shaft is what holds them on. The door handle on a 1950 Champion has a pin that holds it in.

1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

Thanks, guys. I got it out, and saved the roll pin. The door handle has a screw, the window handle just a roll pin.
            Feeling around in there, there isn't much room for getting the lock cylinder out, and especially back in if I manage
            to get the clip off of it. I'll study the shop and body manuals a bit before proceeding further. If it looks really
            dicey, I can have a locksmith impression a key (wiggle a blank in it, read the marks, hand-file a key). Or do the
            same myself if I get the right blanks. I was successful the last time I tried, on a 66 Caprice, but it sure is tedious
            and it's easy to mis-read marks and waste a blank and an hour's time.

Regards,
            Clarence

Comment

My '51 Commander uses an Ilco 1125H H5 or Hurd blank available from our Stude vendors; not sure about the Champion.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The blank for my 1950 Champion is an Ilco X1199AR or Yale 133, readily available from locksmiths or good hardware stores.

1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Bump

1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

I did the same thing for my 51 Champion - got the cylinders out after fumbling with the clips. Took them to a local locksmith and he made keys on the spot, while I waited. About 30 minutes, and I was gone for around $15 for two of them! Keep in mind, I asked for the oldest person working in the shop when I arrived, and he knew exactly what to do.

Getting them back in was a pain, I was working blind trying to feel my way to get the clips back on. Worked fine, but be patient.

Salina, KS, by way of Las Vegas, NV
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Thanks, everyone. It all worked out. Turned out I did not have to re-key at all, the locks were THAT gummed up with gunk. I got the passenger door lock out, and
                      despite WD-40 not doing anything with the lock in the car, it quickly freed the cylinder when I turned it vertical and sprayed to flush it out. The Driver's door
                      lock is even MORE gummed up, so I'm soaking it. I have not yet found 51 door locks at any of the Stude vendors, so I'll need to make this work. Plus I don't want
                      to have a new lock re-keyed to the other two that do work (ignitiion and passenger door). Anyone know where I can find a door lock cover and pin that
                      holds it (the "flipper" cover? One is missing.

Regards,
                      Clarence

Comment

Final Update: Got the other lock unstuck and working great. I'll nose around for the flipper and pin for the passenger side.

Thanks,
                        Clarence

Comment

Working...
                        X