C/K vs 32 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K vs 32 Ford

Since I started formulating ideas for my latest project (1956 Power Hawk). I have come to the conclusion that like the 32 Ford roadster, that has been done to death, the C/K's fall into the same boat. You can do many many thing to them, but you must always work within the styling peramiters of the original designer, or else you lose the overall picture of the car you loved and started out with. To this end, we (customizers) are forced to share or steal ideas from others that have gone before us to create a unique but tastefull look when we are finished.
    This forum has been one of the avenues I have used in gathering the information and tips for my project. And for that I would like to thank everyone that has assisted by answering questions or sharing information that has lead to the direction I have chosen to go with my Hawk.
    Any of which I would be more than willing to share with others on this forum.[]
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

PS
    Anyone who has modified ther C/K is invinted to respond to this topic. I am still wrestling with to chop or not to chop? I would only go 1 1/2", but this is a lot bigger job than most realize on a coupe. If this were a hardtop there would be no question.
    I am also looking for the month and year & magazine issue that contained the step by step chopping of a "Coupe". I believe it was done by Dick Dean.
    Thanks for any assistance with this.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Hi, Brian,

FWIW, a modest front-only chop might be putting the design back where Lowey and Burke wanted it. According to Stude urban legend, the Board of Directors forced the design team to raise the roof in front because the typical executive in those days always wore a hat.

Likewise, the A and B pillars (windshield and door pillars) were supposed to be much slimmer, a la the '59-60 GM look, but the board didn't think they looked strong enough.

Another FWIW, we tall guys need the headroom today. I love the look of a modest chop, but decided not to chop my C-body because it made ingress-egress more difficult for me, the only driver.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Well, Brian, it's certainly true that some cars have been done to death.

My thoughts? Do you really need a chop. Remember, when chopping customs first came into vogue, the aim was to imitate the lower, sleeker look of "modern" cars, like, say, the '53 Studebaker. If you have a car that's already low, why chop it? For something different, why not simply flatten the roofline a little, and maybe increase the size of the rear quarter window, and make it roll down instead of swing out?

One thing to avoid doing, IMHO, is to install those fugly Mercedes or new-Mini headlamps. C-Ks need the presence of the headlamp trim ring to maintain their proper proportions in a side profile. French the headlamp doors, paint them body color; fine. But lop off the fenders and install aero-style composite lamps? Ptui!

In general, anything you can do to accentuate the smoothness of the design, without altering its proportions will look good. Alter the proportions, and it will definitely turn some people off.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

To me, when I view a coupe beside a hardtop, the coupe always looks like the roof has slightly been chopped, perhaps it's the the thickness of the rear window area and the framed glass on the doors. You know how much work a chop is, and I figure on a coupe it's not really worth the time and trouble. Remember color can be a key factor in tricking the eye into seeing a lower roof line, as well as the all-important stance/rake. Also a very slight window tint can do wonders as well. The most important aspect in my book is to keep the mods very subtle, so much so that to the casual observer the mods are (at first) overlooked. Get the panel gaps just right, the body panels just perfect, the chrome gleaming, and the paint a mile deep and the car will have that 'look' that is perfect. I'm know this is not news to you seeing how you are in the rodding business, what ever you decide to do I know you will end up with a slick coupe.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Your mention of the '32, and the Hawk, in combination, started me thinking...Why not install a '32 grill behind the front bumper instead of the Hawk Grill. Just replace one with the other and work in behind the bumper.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            ....On the road, again....
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

I can see why someone might chop a H/T, but to me
              the coupes are "just right" and don't need the chop.
              IMHO I think you'd have a better looking car without
              the chop on a coupe.

fstst56

Comment

Well thanks guys! You are echoing my thoughts exactly. And rest assured I have not even considered those bad Mercedes & Mini headlights. I have a Henry J too. And a few years ago someone did the mecedes headlights and chopped off the tiny tail fins, which turned the car into a 51 Dodge look alike. I appreciate the coments from a couple of you guys that I have met thru the forum with cool c/k's of your own. Please keep the information coming.[]
                Good Roads
                Brian

Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

And Tom! It just so happens that as I read these replies there is a duece shell leaning against my Hawk in the shop. But, I never thought to combine the two, as my mint 56 hood is up in the barn and my car will have the 53 hood that I got from Gord
                  Good Roads
                  Brian

Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

You know, back in my younger days (man, I guess I really AM getting old!), I thought the "gentleman's chop" was a good thing. But now when I see them, something just looks wrong. I would rather see an extreme shop (a la Bonneville) than the small, front-only chop that brings the roof parallel to the door panel (or no chop at all).

One other thought (not directly related to your 56) - I find the high-to-low slant of the roof on the 57-61 Hawks to perfectly compliment the low-to-high slant of Hawks' fins.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                    53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I think that if I had a coupe that *wasn't* painted black, I'd be tempted to paint the area inside the stainless trim black to minimize the appearance of the b-pillar and the frame area of the door. A window tint would help in this respect as well. Plenty of cars come with a treatment like this from the factory; my '89 GTI had a black plastic trim piece in that area presumably for just that reason.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Geoerge & Nate. I do plan to paint the car a dark green almost black. And, I am going to fin the car. I have an original set of 56 Golden Hawk fins. But I plan to fabricate my own steel fins. They will be slightly longer to accomodate the 56 Packhard Clipper tail lights I am also using.[8D]
                        Good Roads
                        Brian

Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

What we did to retain the ingress egress. We cut the top above the drip rail at about 2 inches, cut and removed that is, than installed a top that didnt have near the crown of the c-k roof, we slit the old roof every 2 inches, placed the flat roof where we desired and than hammered all the tabs down to the new roof line. weld, grind and it really looks good. included are photos of a 53 roof and a modified roof.[img][img][/img][/img]

Comment

When you actually measure the window open it is only 3/8" difference.
                            Just that optical elusion of it being so much larger. Your roof looks great. What roof did you get as a donor. I see you did some fin work too. Would love to see pictures of that.[]
                            Good Roads
                            Brian

Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

This is the fin, hand made. The top is from a riviera.[img][/img][img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X